Long vs Short Shaft

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by alands94, Apr 13, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hello,

I apologize in advance if this sounds like a dumb question. I bought my first boat last year and am selling it due to the fact that I bought a nicer boat a few weeks ago. I've had several inquiries as to whether or not my motor is a long or short shaft. I understand a short shaft is considered to be 15" and a long shaft 20". My motor is a 25 hp Mercury and measures 18" from the top of the transom/mounting clamp bracket to the cavitation plate. Since it is about halfway between the two, I am not sure what to call it. Should I call this a long shaft motor?

Thanks!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good question. I never could figure that out either, that's why I built a jackplate, so my 25 Merc would fit the boat, raising it 3".

On thinking about it, I'd call it a short shaft, because it certainly wouldn't work on a 20" transom.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That's a good point, exactly why I asked my question. It fits perfect on my boat, but not sure about others. I'd hate to tell someone it is a short shart when it is really a long and vice versa.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It is billed as a short shaft. On the OMC's I could show you how to ID those shafts but on the others I have to measure.