Long time no see!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Whiskerwhacker, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have't been in touch with anyone in person or on the web for some time now. I have been extremely busy with work, holidays, family, etc. I gather from recent postings that Christmas treated everyone well. As for me and my fam, we just got back from a 3000 mile tour of the midwest. We typically make the trek twice a year as we have a lot of family out there. It was a good and much needed break. I got to fill 2 deer tags in South Dakota and shorten the migration for a few ducks in Nebraska. It was a lot of fun. We had reasonable weather, and no traveling problems, other than my son puking on himself and me 2 hours into a 16 hour drive. I am interested greatly in the talk of the sucker run. I have never done this, but it sounds like great fun, and better yet, inexpensive bait. I will hopefully be checking the chats a little more regularly now, so hope to hear from you all. Oh, by the way Sal, I too got a new coffee maker for Christmas.

2. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    welcome back glad to see you made it back safe and sound.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Nice to hear from you again.
    Sparky

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Good to see ya back, Steve!

Im getting geared up for spring. This year, we are DEFINATELY going to hit Ovid HARD.

Also- get with me if you're in for an ice trip on Rainbow when we get enough ice to stand on.

Glad to hear your travels and hunting trips were successes. And a good coffee maker makes even the worst trips easier, dont they?

-Sal

5. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    What do you typically fish for on the ice? I have only been ice fishing a couple times and have no experience, equipment, etc. I would be interested though, so let me know. I am definitely looking forward to spring on Ovid. When do you anticipate starting? Do you start by a certain water temp or what? We didn't start until the end of June last year, but it was also my first year of serious catting. So this spring will be my first spring of serious catting. So much yet to learn! Anyway I can't wait. Talk to you all later.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ice fishing wih me? Panfish and pike. Thats about it.

I will get out for the first time just around the end of March/beginning of April. I'll typically go out for suckers, then the cating begins. This year my whole spring may very well be consumed in Saginaw bay for the channel catfish chaos that is so unbelievably good out there. You know you're welcome to join me.

I may hit ovid in that first month... it all depends on finances and time... and time will not be a problem at all.

I will surely be fishing the maple this year as of April 1st.

7. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    would like to know more about the catt'n on lake ovid. I see master angler awards for channels like crazy there.I'm planning first of april to the fourth catt'n trip there while wife is out of town.thanks

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Trent,
    Welcome aboard. I see you hail from the Lansing area. Keep posting, you'll find a lot of fishin buddys. I know nothing about Ovid Lake, but there are a couple of guys in Michigan that do.
    Sparky

9. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks for the welcome sparky. love the site. grew up catfish'n with my dad who was a big catfisherman from illinois and you just don't run into to many guys who do it up here.Guys at work laugh at me because they have never heard of anybody who purposly fishes for them. I told them it was like trying to shoot a buck big enough to put on the wall.It's a challenge andhave been fish'n for flatheads for three years to no evail.So i thought would seek professional help(not in the medical sense)lol. Building this year though and will be tough to go as often as i want. Have a week in june and august hope to hit them hard. thanks again sparky hope to talk again

10. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Welcome aboard! Ovid is a great producer usually. Somedays it is phenominal and other days it it frustrating. I have a few spots that are quite consistant. At the boat ramp we see tons of cats leaving in pails and such, so we have always kept with the 5# and bigger goes back theory. Labor day we caught 19 channels by noon, from 3-9#. My best on Ovid is 12#. I heard of a 17#er caught last year, but you know how stories go. Sal fishes it quite a lot as well, but as of yet I have not made it there with him. We have swapped a lot of info about it though. I have also heard that Park Lake is good, but never got around to getting there last year. I am self employed and typically will go a couple times a month before work on a Friday or something like that. The fishing is a lot better in the morning, (or maybe my methods only work in the morning). Ovid is only 15 min. from my house so it is not a terrible stretch to make it happen. Would love to go with you whenever it works out.

11. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Nice flat bottom by the way! I can see a carp shooting deck on it already!

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Welcome aboard. Like you, I spend a lot of time targeting cats too... and it is an art form.... and it is a lot more involved than folks would think.

I live about 40 minutes north and have spent a good hunka time on ovid as well- although most of my time is spent on rainbow lake and the Maple River.

I already told whiskerwhacker and the rest of the michigan crew- so I may as well tell you also... if you ever want to go out, let me know. I'd be happy to share my boat with fellow BOC guys.

Just bring an apetite!!! LOL

-Sal

13. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    sounds great steve, Like i said wife is leaving first week of april and hoping to hit it then. More than welcome to provide boat and transportation if needed. I work usually 7 to 3 on the weekdays and would go out afterwards. Went pike'n at narrow lk. saturday with the tip-up only one flag in four hours.Supposed to be alot of cats in there to.Went last spring with shrimp and crawlers but not even a bit. alright catch up you later.

14. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks sal, sounds like a tight net group. come on winter get over anytime. Maybe if it works out like i said in april we can hook up and wet some lines and maybe pull some critters out. Great artical on flatheading in michigan sal.Very informative to novice like myself right down to gear. Where do guys pickup most of your stuff at? keep hearing about this cat something store on line and can't find it. thanks fella's trent

15. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    welcome back , brother , sorry to hear about the vomit incident , been there too.

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    catfishconnection is a dot com and catalog that has a lotta stuff. My wife just gave me a hundred dollar gift cert for them and I gotta burn it up... so Ill be ordering from em soon.

Grand River Bait and Tackle is a pretty good place too... but dont go too far out of the way cause you're likely closer to Dicks or Gander Mountain- and what they have will suffice.

I have used up to 12/0 hooks with success out here all the way to 1/0... though some unnamed characters have been seen with #6 hooks for flatheads and channels out here. Anything is possible, I guess. Ive even met an ole man (ole Ken Price if you're an Ovid regular) who fished lake ovid and claims to have gotten a 9lb flatty on a wax worm and teardrop. (Though I think the fish was passing by and accidentally inhaled it) LOL

ahh well....

yeah, I like to think we're a fairly tight group. Not so much a tight group as a buncha decent guys who I have found to have two very important things in common: Catfishing and eating meat. ROTFL.... if you ever come to one of our group gatherings, bring something with fiberous content.

As for hooking up and getting out, Ill be on the water the first weekend of April. I start on the maple around about the first weekend from the banks... with crawlers and shrimp I should do alright, keeping my rods busy with suckers, carp, and cats.

-Sal

17. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Can somebody explain the "thanks", "reputation", and "gold coins", I have no idea what these are and if they are useful, etc. Hey! I just figured out how to change my font! I am getting dangerous!

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

mmmkay.... the "thanks" thing. If someone does something that is nice, useful, or otherwise generally good for the BOC or the conversation, then thank them by clicking the "thanks" button below their post. Its nothing more than a nice gesture that gets recorded and used against you in litigation. LOL.... just making sure you're paying attention.

If they go WAY BEYOND the call, or do something exceptional, or solve the unsolveable, or you just "want to" do it, then give them Reputation points by clicking the reputation button... located in the top right of their post, I think in the middle.

Gold Coins... "I like goooooooooold". LOL they're supposed to be for something some day but Ive just collected them and not found a use yet. You get gold coins for each post or reply or something like that... it is a detail I dont really think anyone knows about yet. LOL. seriously- Ive seen giveaways and contests though that require you to have a ceartain amount of gold coins before you may enter. I think that has something to do with it.

What are they for???

Aww heck- the "thanks" meter tells folks who see your posts wether or not you are generally helpful. The Reps tell em wether or not you have built up a big enough reputation to be trusted or wether you have built rapport with the BOC by participating in stuff, instead of trusting any ole guy with any ole idea, possibly screwing up your fishing experience. The gold coins... heck I never pay any attention to them.

I hope that helped.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good to see you back Bro