Long standing state record.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Tat2demon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I was looking through a site that listed the South Dakota state record catches and came across the channel cat. It was caught in 1949 and weighed 55lbs.

It was caught in the James River which connects to the Missouri. Theyre uncommon, but blues have been caught in the Mis where the James dumps in.

The picture shows an impressive fish for sure, but its anal fin sure makes it look a lot more like a blue than a channel.

What are your thoughts?

2. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Seems I forgot the picture.

Attached Files:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Pictures can be tricky, but it looks like a blue to me. The head does look kind of channel cat like, but the anal fin is a better identifier, and it's pretty clear in that picture that it's flat, not curved.

It's unfortunate because 55lbs sets the bar out of reach for channel cats in this part of the country. I've heard of a state record or two being thrown out because of better analysis of photos, so there may be some hope for appeal?

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That one definitely need to be reviewed by SD fish and Game. :confused2:

5. o Catfish o

o Catfish o New Member

State:
    OHIO
    THAT IS NOT A CHANNEL..

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thats a blue cat for sure.

7. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    for sure not a channel

8. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Sure looks like a blue to me

9. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Agreed 100%!

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I disagree with everyone on this one..I think its a channel but its really difficult to tell from the pictures..I'm sure even back in 49' when it was made an official record they where able to identify the fish not just from a picture..I don't think the guy just brought in a pic and said "heres a 55 lb channel I caught now put me in the record books"..I'm sure they were able to examine the fish..I know if I would have seen it up close and in person I would have been able to easily identify the fish..

11. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Yeah its hard to say what their verifications were back then.

After looking around last night about record fish I came across someone talking about the record channel in their state turning out to be a flathead after like 40 years. If a flat can be confused for a channel surely a blue can.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The problem is that it often came down to the judgment of one field agent, and a lot of times those guys had more training in law enforcement than in the nuances of species id of all the fish and wildlife in their area. I think it's a lot better now, training is better, and the agents have to be able to differentiate blues from channels (and channels from flatheads) if they are expected to enforce different creel or length limits for each.

13. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    the anal tail fin is to straight a channel cats would be 1/2 that leingth and rounded nope its a blue