Long rods for big fish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fisherman94580, May 28, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Will longer rods, like 9 footers, work well for flatheads, and for fish over twenty pounds. I was thinking about getting a 9 or 10 foot american spirit nite stick. Still not sure though. What are some better rods for a descent price? Thanks in advance.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most fishermen use the long rods to gain distance in casting and presenting their baits. Surf fishermen use really long rods and land some awful big salt water fish. In my opinion, and its strictly my opinion, those salt water fish, pound for pound, put up a better fight than the freshwater fish. The big rods hold them. It actually depends more on how you fish as to how your rod will preform. If you want to take your time and play the fish (water conditions allowing) you can whip them with a limber fly rod all the way up to the 18 / 20' surf rods. If you want to horse them in, you will have problems with a crane using wire rope. Rods are important, but the human factor is the most important.

3. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
  4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Right on Lawrence! I use the longer rods too but fish alot from the dam that is elevated and need great distance. The longer rod also seems to help setting the hook too, since there's so much line out there that when you raise the tip of a 14ft rod, you have more leverage on the long line than with a short rod. I actually think 9ft is a short rod for the areas I fish, lol. I use 10 and 12 ft from the bank.

If I'm using a shorter rod, I like them stiffer. The longer the rod, the lighter the action I like it. It's more tiring for the fish, and less strain on the reel, drag, and line. It's more fun to fight a big fish on lighter action rod too.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I use 10 ft rods for bank fishing the Ohio River. Along with a little more distance it helps to keep more line out of the water (less debris on the line in the current). Helps me keep the Flats up off the bottom better if the rods are raised when fighting the fish. ETC ETC

Opinion: Note the lure weight for the bait/sinkers u want to use and go with the max. I use 3-8 oz lure wieght or 2-6. If less it not pretty casting, lol!!

:big_smile:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a couple of 14' rods that I use whenever I need that maximum distance with my casts, but I'll have to disagree with the statement that a longer rod gives you more leverage against the fish. Remember, you're on the short end of the lever and the fish is on the long end, so the longer the rod, the LESS leverage you have on the fish. Some years back, guys fishing below Kentucky Lake used a 12" length of broomstick, or thick dowell, with a big Penn reel clamped onto it. One eye fastened to the other end of the stick kept the line straight. Obviously, this extreme setup was nothing more than handlining, with just enough rod to say you caught the fish on a rod & reel. And look at the rods used on bottom fishing partyboats. A rod only 6' long will really stand out there. The short rods are used because they provide more leverage, and because no casting is necessary--the baits/sinkers are dropped straight down.
    Long rods will definitely help your casting distance, and a long rod is very helpful if you're trying to keep the line out of some swift water, say, if you're trying to bait fish right up against the dam/powerhouse, and don't want the swift water hitting your line and dragging the bait downstream. There are probably some other good reasons for using a longer rod, but I can't think of them right now, but getting extra leverage on the fish isn't one of them.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We used the 9 foot casting model for snagging paddlefish and catfishing. I have a Penn 209 spooled with 40 pound Big Game on the catfishing rod. My dad has some abu Garcia 5500 and 6000's on them with 80 pound braid for snagging and catfishing also.

For the price, they feel great and if you break one, it doesn't hurt the wallet too bad.:cool2: