Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have that rod in 7’ 3” I believe (I remember it’s a odd size cut for shipping) my wife surprised me and ordered it from tackle bandit.
I like it for a heavy action smooth handle and it’s very light! When using it for catfishing I run the clicker seams like a well built rod. I will say it’s one of my shortest rods and it casts almost as long as any of them so a 14’ will probably cast a country mile!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear...I've been trying to get over towards Alma so I could wiggle a meathunter or two, I've been on the fence for a bit about buying one...but I'm a sucker for a long rod and $50 ain't bad...I'm figuring they'd be good for spoons and fishing the Arkansas or Mississippi...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’ve been wanting a long rod as well trying to decide between the meat hunter or the bass pro king kat I have both in shorter forms so just using them here and there and waiting to decide.
I used my meat hunter for spoon bill snagging in MO on a long weekend never found the spoonbill (neither did anyone else) but I will say I could feel a lot of the river bottom. I believe their actually made for spoonbills

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got my rods last night while I was work...checked them out this morning...the guides are good, a paracord wrap on the handles (really makes it easy to get a good grip), the handle has a good length so t out can space out your hands to muscle one out, they not overly heavy for a glass rod, and it feels like it can handle at least 8oz and bait casting...I'm pretty happy with it on the wiggle and dinking around test...i think they definitely worth the $50 price tag, the blank feels a lot better then i was expecting. ..just need to put a fish on them now 😂

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only potential drawback I see is the composite reel seat...but I've never had one fail so I'm not overly concerned...I know it's a deal breaker for some though...

·
Registered
Waylon from Osage County, Oklahoma
371 Posts
Where I live 9 out of 10 surf rods are meathunters, they have an almost cult like following & if you don't have one people always wanna know why lol.

At one time before he moved over to the land of milk & honey meathunters were made here in Oklahoma, Tulsa I believe if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
553 Posts
All this talk about a new catfish rod makes me want a new rig But you know how that works first a new rod then you need a new reel and line hooks weights it's a vicious circle. But I catch my own bait with worms I dig oh that reminds me my panfish rod is getting pretty old I should probably well like I said it's a vicious circle

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a few extra reels and the size of the rod with the price made it a bit too interesting to pass up...besides I'm going down to Dardanelle dam at the end of the month for a few days...I only had one long rod I could throw 6oz and bait with...so I can make the better half sorta believe I needed them 🤣

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s a “surf” rod get a diawa! Haha I’ve heard good things about the squalls never used one personally or a diawa for that matter. Either way post pics when you get it set up! Hopefully shortly followed by a new PB!
Don't muddle up the choice 🤣 but I do have a saltist 20 now that you mention it 😳

1 - 18 of 18 Posts