Long range kill

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 15, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Check out this 1,000 yard shot!

[youtubevid]Ssh8Vsbvn2A&feature=related[/youtubevid]

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ahh yes the "Best of the west" long range snipers showing their un hunting skills.:wink: Them boys can shoot ,But they cant hunt fer chit.:smile2::smile2:

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Another one at 950 yards.
    [youtubevid]KqNs5tQvsBU&feature=related[/youtubevid]

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Hunting means different things to different people,if you look at the terrain they hunt you will notice longer shots are common,as sneaking up on a good critter in short grass prairie is about impossible. Having said that,it is my belief that taking a 900 to 1000 yard shot at game is not nessasary and not really ethical as too many things can go wrong. But if anybody takes those shots these guys are prepared to with the right rifles,the right equipment and PRACTICE to do the job,somewhere they have some longer shots on film. this kind of shooting is surely not to be tried by the average hunter in the feild, as most are not set up or practiced enough to even think about a shot like that.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I watch the Best of the West program weekly,I love it,But I dont agree with the ethics side of it,In fact the first time I watched it I got so mad,I fired off an angry e-mail to them about their unethical hunting style. They werent very impressed.,But I have learned some important shooting tips and skills from that show,Number one most anyone can do it ,with the right amount of money,practice and patience. I regularly shoot at prarie dogs and coyotes at 200-300 yards with my .223. Course they are only vermin,not big game.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I consider big game like a deer as vermin.
    They are destructive animals.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It would be nice to hunt in an area that I could see game that far away. That fist shot is about 10 X's as far as I normally see deer. I would feel comfortable shooting deer at 200-300 yds. but that is the upper end of my limits and practice range. I figure 95% of the deer in this area are killed within 100 yds.. I can't help that most people in this area gets ft. and yards confused:confused2:. For what $$$ it takes to practice to shoot long range like that, they can eat the very best cut of beef. I'm sure.:wink:

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Growing up in the midwest, hunting was getting a shot within 100 yds., you couldn't get any long range shots in because you were trained to get close shots and not wound and lose your game.
    Now its target shooting not hunting to those people who filmed those two shots, its not a problem to get within 1000 yds. of wild game, it is to get within 100, t he problem with shows like that is that it makes too many dumb a---- think that they can or they will try cuz they saw the viedo and they can do it too without hte equipment to do it

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    do they have shooting skills? yes. Hunting skills? NO.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, that's damn good shooting, but it ain't hunting.:wink:

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia

There is no shortage of dumbasses out there. I know "hunters" that have no business taking a 100 yard shot, let alone a 1,000 yard shot. Some never touch their guns until opening day. I caught two guy trying to shoot a squirrel out of a tree with a 30-06 and a 30-30. When I asked them where they thought their bullets were going, they called me an A-hole!

12. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree 100%,i have 2 friends they will shoot at a deer 100 yrds. off with a crossbow,or when rifle hunting shoot at a fawn,buck,doe it dies'nt matter,as long as they can see it.they've brought deer to me shot in the hind quarters,lower jaw,you name a bad shot they've made it.and still do.they never practice or make sure their weapon is still zeroed.i confront them,they get mad,oh well.they have NO ethics,makes me sick to my stomach.good people,but slob ass hunters,the both of them.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Not my style of hunting, but either way that is some amazing shooting. If I was capable of that shot, then I'm sure I would take it. That said, I'm a bowhunter at heart and even when I rifle hunt I rarely shoot over 50 yards.

Either way, venison tastes like venison whether it was killed at 1000 yards or 10. :wink:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I don't see why it isn't hunting.
    Look what hunting was and still is to some people before some people like yourself turned it into sport.

It may be your type of hunting but it's still hunting.
    It's pursuit of game.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I do not believe that "most anybody" can shoot consistantly enough to make 1" group at 100yrds. I would guess that as much as 95% of the folks that hunt and shoot have a hard time grouping. Plus you have to start doing math after that and figure out your bullet drop. That fella that did the 1011yrd shot was using a mil-dot hold. You gotta know what a "mil-dot" really is before you could even attempt that shot.
    I compare shooters like that to pro athletes. It is a combination of genetics, skill, and the proper environment that lets them know they can shoot.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The olympics have a shooting sport, and they are pros. My son was invited to try out for the olypics in shooting.
    Genetics has nothing to do with it. The skill of shooting like that has to be developed. Ones that skill is developed . the wind has more to do with shooting long range like that than the environment.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    It is not hunting, (in the commonly used definition of the term), because it requires no wood craft at all. It requires no stealth at all. It requires no knowledge of the game's habits or patterns. The only things that kind of killing requires are good eye sight, good rifles, good optics, and the ability to use them. It is no more hunting than shooting game from a helicopter is. But, I might have known that someone like you, that considers White Tail Deer as "vermin", would disagree. No surprise there!

18. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree,but you can't explain to some people the difference in hunting and just shooting.hunting takes skill to out wit your game.it does'nt take any skill what so ever to get within a half of mile to a game animal.it takes a little shooting skill , but as stated before no hunting skills.and i know PEOPLE i consider"vermin".

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hmmm hire em to secure the borders :smile2:

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Did you see the pretty 19 year old female soldier who was in Afghanistan and saw someone planting an IED along a road? She shot him from almost 1,000 yards, in the butt, while he was bending over planting the bomb. The bullet went through him and blew up the IED, too. I'll have to get it off my other computer and post it. Now THAT'S shooting vermin!!