Long range hunting and shooting-???

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Fire&Cats101, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Fire&Cats101

Fire&Cats101 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    Any of you into long range target shooting or long range big game hunting? I have gotten into both over the years. I have accumulated several very capable rifles with the center piece of my collection being a custom built 375 Chey Tac. I researched it for a long time and spent a small fortune on it. It has proven to exceed my expectations and the distances I have available to shoot. I have recently decided to part with it in order to obtain a boat to catfish from. This has proven to be a daunting task as few people in this area are familiar with or into long range. I am now trying online sales with GunBroker. I listed it as a complete package deal. I have also posted will trade ads in various places. If anyone has any incite on additional ideas of places to advertise this piece I am open to suggestions. I am also open to questions and possibilities for a good boat.

2. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    I am into the long range metal plate gonging, well by my standards it's long, my range is 880 yards and that is as long as I can go and stay on my own property. While I have rifles quite capable of 1/4 mi. (440 yard) 1 inch groups I won't take that long of a shot at a living target, not that I doubt my rifle nor my ability there is IMO just too much that can happen at that range and I don't want to be responsible for a living creature suffering for a week or so before expiring, even a coyote or groundhog. I do like ringing the gong with my 220 Swift and 6.5 though.

Fire&Cats101 likes this.

3. Fire&Cats101

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    I agree with Jbuck on knowing limitations and personal confidence for taking game at extended ranges. In this area it is seldom to take shots much over 100yrds unless you are lucky enough to have permission to hunt any of the few remaining farms that have such distances clear to shoot. With the destructive nature of ground hogs on both pasture and hay fields I have taken them at far greater distances. The same factors do not hold true in every hunting environment though. I know their are times and places where shots are taken at great distances and the 375 CT is overly adequate and more likely overkill for any North American game. I have seen what it does to whitetails while reducing numbers on a crop damage permitted farm. That earned it's retirement to target shooting only. I have access to areas in which I could set up shots at over a mile but have honestly lost interest in it. If I do not sell it I may eventually get back into plinking with it.

4. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Lynn
    I've been known to dabble in long range shooting a bit.

5. Fire&Cats101

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    Im still trying to move the Chey TAC and get a boat. Had a few ridiculous offers on Gun Broker but nothing worth entertaining. With the gun buyers market geared toward the Walmart bargain rack its hard to sell high end items.

6. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Lynn
    You will sell it eventually, if you keep trying... But these are specialized tools that most don't want, or need... Expensive habit, long range shooting...I have spent a fortune on it in the last 35 years.

Lost my place to shoot (family property)... And have since sorta moved away from it... I do still have a capable 800-1000 yard hunting rifle, 280 Ackley Improved... But only because that is the only one I haven't been able to sell yet, and have pretty much decided to keep it anyway.

7. hillman

hillman Active Member

State:
    MO.
    You are trying to sell specialized equipment that very few have a need for. And your wanting premium price.

Me I try to have nice stuff but I never try to get a Fair Price if I'm wanting it to sell it is always way less, then I have to listen to my wife and kicking myself for selling it in the first place.

Had a very nice Boat sold it for what I paid for it. Now wanting another Boat, first off my wife says no and then trying to come up with the cash.

hillman