Long Polers Help!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Icebreaker, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Icebreaker

Icebreaker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi everyone

I just joined and have been lurking the boards trying to find info on a legitamate 100+ yard conventional casting rod.I am looking too cast anywhere from 4-8 ounces of weight,using 30 mono....and for anything over 10 feet it will have to be a 2 piece.....

I have a couple 8 ft rods for close in work but am needing something that will reach out there....

Iv been looking at rods/prices but if you have a rod that will cast without a doubt and hasnt had a failure due to materials/workmanship please let me know.....

any info will be apreciated THANX

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use 14' Fenwicks that I have had a long time. I don't know where you can find one now. I am going to get a 14' Meathunter to try. Alot of guys don't like them. I'm getting mine to use at the dam.

3. Icebreaker

Icebreaker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I talked to the guy at RFsports yesterday I like the stainless eyes , they wont crack or fall out....

I read one post that said they were stiffer than most rods,and that had me abit concerned , like can it be loaded? or is it just a broom handle....

so far though with no other input its where my money will be going most likly, they are very economical and no replacing brittle eye's...

Hopfully I can get more info ,would hate to have to buy blind , or spend 25 bucks going to Tulsa

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    My grandson has a 14' H meathunter, I liked the way it felt but I only threw it a couple of time and did not catch a fish on it. He has got blues up to 45lbs. He likes it, says he going to get another.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    WELCOME JASON to the BOC,,Yoy will definatly get some info here..

6. Vito the Catman

Vito the Catman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using a Daiwa Sea line X hi performance graphite rod. It is the sea line model 11ft it handles 4- 7oz weight 20-40 lb test model# SL- X S 1102 HRB. I can out cast my 12' custom made rods by 50 ft, with this rod. It is light weight, it has a whippy tip but has a lot of back bone when fighting large fish have caught 50lb plus fish on this rod. I bought it 3 yrs a go at a local shop in blueash Ohio. I think you would like this rod.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Fenwicks were the best rods made for fishin below big dams They are almost impossible to find though.:sad2:
    If anyone has one to sell, let me know.:wink:
    I have a 14' Meat Hunter that will do the trick, but it will NOT compare to a Fenwick. They are heavier and not as soft as the Fenwicks but are soft enough. With a good reel you should be able to get you 100+ yards.
    For the money, you cant go wrong. They are good enough to give a shot.

9. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well jason iv got 2 12' anerican night sticks and thay are just awsome thay cost around 50$ each.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres what I use.

Ugly stick big water, rated extra heavy, 12 foot and rated for up to 24 ounces of weight..The most I have thrown with this rod is 10 ounces and a big shad head, one heck of a rod price around 75 bucks.

American spirit nite stick, 12 foot length, m/h action rated for 6 ounces but I can throw 8 ounces pretty good with these rods..price 45 bucks.

The ugly stick is the better rod, stronger rod with better eyes.

But the nite stick is a very good rod for the money.

11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL.
    I normally use two 12' Okuma Solaris Surf casting rods rated 3-8 oz. I usually cast 4 or 5oz and bait with no problem. Digital Dagger has them listed on their site for $78.00 which is a very good if price if it is still good. I also use a 12' Ocean Master Cape Point casting rod rated 6-12 and I normally use 6oz and bait but this rod will definitely handle more. I bought this from Bass Pro on sale for $89.00. They no longer offer this rod in a casting model, only spinning and the cost I believe is $159.00.
    I would like to buy a couple Meat Hunter 12' casting rods for $40.00 each, but the shipping charges are too much. From what I have read about them, they sound like an nice rod for the money. When I visit my son in Houston, I may come home with a couple. Good luck.

13. Icebreaker

Icebreaker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Vito I tried finding that rod and could only come up w/ spinning models is yours a casting rod?

right now im getting 75 yards consistently with a 8ft(MH) catfish special from south bend paired w/ a 6000 series abu w/ 20lb big game using 4 oz + a 5/0 khale hook and a 6 inch shad head...

as far as reels to mate to the new rods , I was thinking of just going w/ a penn 209-309 to start or possibly a okuma contender to hold the 30lb....

Dave , my wife is from Cottage hills , if I come out that way I might be able to save you the shipping lol , btw you have the best tackle shop in the nation as far as I am concerned bluff city is THE ****!

Do any of you hit 150 yards with a baitcaster on mono?If not how far can you hit consistently?whats your setup?....

Thanx guy's

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    For reels, if you're really wanting to do long, I'd forget the Penn 209/309 reels. In a Penn, find one of the Squidder models (made for surfcasting) or the get the GS series. Neither of these have a levelwind though. The GT levelwind reels can cast long, but it takes a TON of practice to train your thumb. I used to get over 100yds with a 320GTi on a 9ft rod with 6 oz and 20lb line.

You're on the right track already with the ABU reels. They are the easiest reels to get to cast long distances. If I was setting up a combo, I'd probably try that 14' Meathunter (just cause it's cheaper) and put an ABU 7000 Pro Rocket on it. If you want to use 30lb mono, I'd go with a thinner line like Stren Magnathin or Silver Thread to get the max amount on the reel. Both of those lines in 30lb test have the diameter of 25lb line or a bit smaller. Then instead of 200yds of line on the 7000, you'd probably get close to 250yds on it.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of, the serious guys fishing below dams here in Arkansas use a custom built 'river rod' made from a 14' Fenwick blank. And while they are still available, they are one-piece rods. Also, from what I've been told, the newer Fenwick blanks are made in China; the old ones were made here in the USA. If you really like the 14' Fenwick, and just have to have a 2-piece, you can make it into a 2-piece, or have it done by a rodbuilder. I think the price on the last one I saw in a bait shop was around $150.

A lot of the guys have the Penn 309, and get good distance with it, but the 320 GTi or 320GT2 should give even greater distance. I've got one of each, and I definitely like the 320 better. The 209 is a great, rugged catfish reel, but great casting distance isn't one of it's features.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Which is the best truck... Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, GMC. Guess itis just a matter of personal preference. Rods are like trucks, a matter of personal preference. You take an old cheap rod that you can buy for 25.00 dollars at Academy and it may not cast as well as a 75.00 or 85.00 Fenwick. But, when the tip gets smashed in the door, they are both equal then, but I'll be able to afford a 25.00 rod much easier than I can a 75.00 one. I think you just need to find something in a length your comfortable with, match it with a reel and appropriate line and you will do just as good as those guys throwing the cadilacs. It is just like cars, one is good, one is a lemon. So, you don't have to have the best.

17. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    You are right. I got my Fenwicks back in the '70s I can't afford a Fenwick blank now.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was getting around 100yrd consecutively with a 12' nite stick and a 6000 sized abu loaded with 150yrds of 65# power pro so as long as you can get um stoped within a 50yd dash your good to go.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oops dumb computer

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Penn 525 Mag...designed from the get-go for tournament casting...made in the USA (for now, at least). About 150 clams.

Breakaway HDX...13', 4-8 oz. 2-piece, $260.

Lighter line, say 14-17 lb test, will make the distances you want much more attainable. In any case, a heavy shock leader 20-25 feet long will be necessary.