long pole

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BIGBASS3638, Jan 2, 2006.

1. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

i have a question about rods. i fish a power canal that has a lot of bank tree trunks and brush piles its almost impossible to fish w/out hanging up. i was thinking about getting a large 10 to 14ft heavy action rod. what types of rods or rigs do you use? i thought the longer rod would keep the bait just over and next to the cover and not in it. and i also want to ask if the longer pole would stil bring in the big ones if riged properly

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the best answer to your question is that anything is possible. I fish with a 15' and 2 14' poles when I bank fish. If your talking about reaching over the brush, it probably would work if your catching fish below about 5 pounds. Other than that, you probably would simply break the pole by trying to haul a large fish over the brush. Once you got the fish on the line, I doubt the longer pole would give you the edge you need to keep it from snagging the line. So, I think you probably would do better with a shorter, stouter pole and extremely heavy line.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A long pole has the advantage of casting further then a short rod, but the longer the rod, the more leverage the fish has against you. When you're fishing spots like brushpiles and logjams, you need to get that fish out of there in a hurry, because every second that fish is there is another chance for it to wrap your line around something. You don't mention whether you're fishing from a boat or from the shore, but from the bank, you can certainly reach more places with a long pole. If you're using a boat, I'd use it to manuver close enough to reach the spot with a short, stout pole. The less line you can have out, the less chance of having a cat tie you up in the snags.
    While writing this, I remembered a method of jewfishing down in Florida that might also work for catfish. Jewfish love to hide in holes in rock dikes/jetties, and casting a bait to them is very difficult. This method involved taking a very stout Calcutta cane pole, cutting the limber tip off, and attaching a short length of wire. Then, while the boat driver kept the boat close to, but not against the rocks, a second guy would take the pole and jam the bait into all the promising looking spots he could reach. When the bait was presented right in front of a jewfish, it would eat it, and the fisherman would have a big fish on the line, with no way to release or take up line--just an old fashioned tug of war. I've used a modified version of this for bass fishing, where I had a big topwater lure attached to a 20' Calcutta cane pole with 12" of line.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i only have ine rod under 10 ft long, the rest are 11 and 12 foot surf rods. I think i can cast farther with them and you can get away with a smaller pound test line with them because you get more leverage on the fish. The best example i have is my dad fishing the river around here with his 16 foot heavy action cabela rod with 4 pound test line. I watched him fight about a 8 pound channel cat for acouple of minutes and got it in.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are targeting big fish close to cover I would go with a rod 7-8ft long...Other than that a long rod works ok, and will increase casting distance.

6. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    here's what ya do... get a broomstick, attach some 1/4" anchor line. Bait a 50/0 hook with a 10lb carp and HOLD ON! lol

Seriously though, a short, really stout rod is what your after. Spooled with the heaviest line you can get in the style you like---ie in mono, say 80lb big game---in a braid, maybe 150lb power pro.
    Remember, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've been thinking about getting a long rod too. Thanks for the post.

8. Lil Grinder 20

Lil Grinder 20 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    all of my rods are 7-9 ft anything longer IMO is 2 much for me
    stay in that range& you will be ok...

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gary, you were probably joking about using a broomstick for a rod, but I remember reading an article quite a few years back about some guys below Kentucky Lake Dam doing just that. They didn't use a whole broomstick; as I remember the article, they cut a section 12"-18" long, attached a big Penn reel with hose clamps, and put one stout guide up near the end of the stick. Seems using a 'rod' like that gave them the maximum leverage against the +50# cats they were pulling in.