Long Line Trolling

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by trsteele, Feb 5, 2008.

1. trsteele

trsteele New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would like to perfect the techniques of long line trolling. Are there ant experts on the board that can give me pointers?

2. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wouldnt say Im an expert, but have caught some crappie by drift fishing. Using a trolling motor works also but just letting the wind take you works pretty good. We stick to open water when we are doing this.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No expert, here is how I do it. Troll 200 and 300 series bandits or similar crank bait 50 to 150 foot behind boat. I use 4 rods, outside 2 with planer boards, middle 2 set at a slight angle towards the outside of boat. Use trolling motor to troll at about 1.5 mph to start and then go up or down from there. Usually down.
    Work water from 15 to 30 feet deep passing over structure ( most bites occur near structure) But a good number of fish come from open water. There is no limit, but imagination, on the types and size of baits that can be used.
    I have caught everything from flatheads to brim trolling. This is a summer time thing for me, have not tried it during cooler times of the year.

4. dbarbosa

dbarbosa New Member

State:
    Mansfield, Texas
    Thanks for the info.

I will try the long line drifting.

Darwin.