Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I came up with the idea to catfish WAY out like kayak a bait out kinda way out. I've got a reel with plenty of line capacity a Penn 113h 4/0 with a Hawaiian wide frame and spool with 547 yards of 65lb braid and 200 yards of 60lb mono. Its currently on a 8ft Denali bottom feeder 40-60 pound rod. Eventually I'm going to put it on a 12ft surf rod so I can cast in places I can't put a kayak in like KY and berkley dams. The goal here is to catch one of those volkswagen size catfish they say are below the dam. What are y'alls thoughts about it? This is the reel I built for this little project
Auto part

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,320 Posts
Those big cats will want big baits and holding below a dam will require a big weight. Big baits x big weights x big casts need big rods, a great reel and foolproof bait mounting.
Set up your proposed rig with bait and find a field to practice until you can hit 100. Might take a while .... might come easy!

...W

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Only a few of the places I fish require 100 yard casts.....for that I use an Ugly Big Water 15 ft. and a Daiwa BG 8000 (spinning reel). 4oz of weight plus bait with 50 lb braid and a 60 lb mono shock leader gets the job done. Other than that, I search out main channels on the rivers that are just a stones throw off of the bank, 30 to 50 yards or so......at one spot I can drop my bait straight down from the bank! Even without having to cast far, I still need HEAVY (8 to 12 oz) weights for those areas......

The backwaters and sloughs off of the main river are also great places to fish (going out to one tomorrow), and the water is usually still and only light weights are needed.......easy fishing!

As far as kayaking bait out to a main current where I fish, well, that would scare the heck out of me.....and the way the Missouri flows at some of the spots where I fish, that radio controlled boat would be out of sight and out of range in no time.

But....once I get my XH rod and reel set up, I am going to try to encourage a buddy who has a boat to stop on by and run my bait WAY out to a main channel that we fish together from the bank on occasion. I know his boat can easily handle the swift current, the only question I have is.....can I?:eek1:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have seen more drones crash do to prop fail or batteries that control them. And mostly unskilled operators tops the list. They are not cheap to watch one sink if it would fail.

·
Registered
KY, USA
191 Posts
I have seen more drones crash do to prop fail or batteries that control them. And mostly unskilled operators tops the list. They are not cheap to watch one sink if it would fail.
Anything can fail and can be expensive. Rod breaks, fishing line get snagged, drone sinks, boat sinks....

For long distance fishing, imo one only has several options:
1. Depending the distance, a long rod with big reel, big weights etc. Probably cheapest option but there is a limit to how far one can cast.
2. Radio control boat, most likely not going to work if there is a current. And this radio control boat is definitely not cheap.
3. Drone, which is also not cheap but most likely cheaper and easier to operate than option 4 below.
4. Have a real boat (or maybe a kayak).

I looked at all of the above a few months back, just for fun but I also wanted to be able to fish at long distance. I picked option 1, I added two 9ft rods into my setup. I can cast enough distance for what I need for now. I would like to try drone at some point in the future. I think it will be fun project for me and the kid. And yes, I am well aware drone is not a cheap toy.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have seen how those radio controlled boat work, pretty cool, but I am surprised noone has try using drones.
People do use drones pretty regularly when surf fishing... its kind of an oddball niche community but it's kind of fun in a way to. The main problem is you need a drone with a decent payload capacity. Most drones are not able to take more than an ounce and a half before they start struggling. Add in the extra weight you will need to hold bottom further out and the ability to fish in moderate wind taken away and the idea isn't as good. People do do it tho. The dji fantom drones have a payload of 2 or 3 lbs so they are perfect for getting 8 n bait out but one mishap and you are out a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dont know if these were mentioned already but ive seen you tubes of people using compressed air bait launchers made out of PVC pipe and a second way ive seen some using a two man balloon launcher attached to poles, thus making a one man balloon launcher.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
You'll get in trouble using that gun to hunt fish. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I ordered a 12 ft daiwa beefstick. I already have a kayak but that might be a lake only situation i need some practice yakking a river I can't fly a drone over land so I'm not gonna try over water lol. As for the bait cannon all you need is some pvc pipe a reducer and end cap a ball valve and a valve stem for a simple version. I have one in the garage we use for setting a climb line in a tree. I just need to make a mold to make frozen bait bullets.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Those big cats will want big baits and holding below a dam will require a big weight. Big baits x big weights x big casts need big rods, a great reel and foolproof bait mounting.
Set up your proposed rig with bait and find a field to practice until you can hit 100. Might take a while .... might come easy!

...W
Just wondering as I've never fished a dam. Why weight to hold a bait down at a dam? If the fish are eating fish chewed up at the dam and catching them in the current, wouldn't just enough weight to get the bait down but let the water carry it work?

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
Just below a dam is often the strongest current you will find. It also often has a lot of riprap, boulders, and other obstructions perfect for getting your hook or sinker snagged. The best way to fish it and have less chance of getting snagged it to cast out and have the bait go to the bottom and stop. The more it moves along the bottom, the more chance you have if getting stuck.

Even when back bouncing below a dam the correct way is to lift the sinker and set it back down without letting it tumble along the bottom. The tumbling or rolling on the bottom gives you the best chance of a snag.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts