Long Distance Casting Rod and Reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Aug 11, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Anyone out there have any suggestions on a good set up for doing really long casts from shore? I mean real long.

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How about a Catfish Safari 8' SpinCat and an Okuma Avenger av65a or av80a spinning reel. I have a couple with the av80a's and they will get out there.

4. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings,

you might want to try non levelwind reels like Abu Garcia 6500 ct or Daiwa Sealine SHA reels. 10 to 14 feet surf rods will let you cast a country mile. I use up to 8 feet on a boat but when i get to the beach i use a 10 foot premiere which is considered small for distance casting. i would recommend going to the pierandsurf or stripersonline or going to youtube and typing brighton cast to get you on you're way. i use a 10 foot premiere with daiwa when fishing and an abu sports mag on the field. both with 15- 17 pound mono and 30 lb shock leader wrapped for 3 turns on the reel. if you're fishing close to log jams or snags try 50+ braid with a mono leader so you can pull em out.

regards,
    m.a.d

5. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Very interested to see this discussion--I did some of my own research into this issue fishing this weekend.

I am using ambassudeur 7000's--one is regular 7000 "red-reel" other is the upgraded 7000 ic3 [I think that is the designation]. Both list specifications as 22 inches of line retrieved per turn of the handle.

I checked a couple of casts and is was taking me from 90 to 139 cranks to bring the bait in. That's 1980 to 3058 inches per cast or 165 feet to 255 feet per cast. 55 yards to 85 yards per cast.

I am using 12 foot rods one medium/heavy, one heavy. Both with 40 pound Berkley Big Game. Sinker weight from 5 to 12 ounces. 3 to 4 inch shad.

I have read of folks claiming to through 200 yards per cast. I find that difficult to believe based on my reseach above. But maybe they are just way better than me, different equipment, etc. I seem to cast about the same as others I have watched who claim to be experts.

Has anyone actually measured casts like I am talking about above?

John

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The answer depends if you are talking spinning or casting rigs. How much weight you need to cast, which is a result of the type water you are fishing in. I fish the river which has heavy current and I usually need 6oz to hold the bottom. If you are fishing calm water, then 2 or 3oz would be plenty. I would look for a nice 12' rod that will handle the weight you need to cast. I use 12' rods with 6500 and 7000 pro rockets which cast very nice. Money is of course the most important factor. Good luck.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I fish from the bank at the Mississippi River so I also need at least 6 oz. I prefer a Spinning Reel. I find it very awkward casting that much weight. I'm always scared to really sling it for fear of my weight snapping off, not to mention it just feels weird. Any suggestions I need to get out there far where the big'uns are.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Patrick, didn't you catch the fish in your avatar pretty much right at your feet? My pb came less than 10 yards from the bank, as well. The fish gods are talking to us...we have but to listen.

Distance is seductive, but not always the best choice.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I got news for you Patrick, those big uns your looking for are in the flats next to the bank at night.....Try fishing at night you wont' have to cast as far to get in the territory of big cats....Good Luck

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well I've fished at least one night a week since early May and never caught one. I normally use Live Bluegills and start about an hour before sundown til at least Midnight or later.

The only times I've caught fish in the river was during daytime.

This seems to go against what you typically here about night fishing and Cats feeding in the shallows. I don't know what to make of it but there are other guys who fish the shore allot to who rarely catch fish also.

I see lots of pics of guys catching 30-50 lbers but they have boats and get out there pretty far.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    and Yeah the fish in my avatar was caught in pretty close to the bank. I've just been thinking I might go for Blues and from what I hear the big ones are out there pretty far.

I tried the early morning approach again, same spot, same time and no bites at all. I don't know what to make of these river cats. Are they not there or not biting?

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Look to the surf fishing community for distance casting equipment. About the best "inexpensive" surf rod you can find is the Ocean Master Cape Point Special available at Bass Pro shops for a little over a hundred bucks.

If you want to use a spinning rod, google up "breakaway cannon" which will help you cast heavier weight with comfortably.

Casting technique is critical when it comes to getting decent distance. Once you get the equipment, do the research and hone your casting skills.

You should easily hit over 300 feet with little effort.

13. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Patrick--I have caught a 28.6 pound flathead and a 32 pound blue and have just fished since may of this year. All from bank. You can see how far I cast above. I think if you actually measured these guys claiming to throw 100 to 200 yards you would find they are throwing 50 to 80 yards just like I describe above. I simply can't cast a spinning rod the same distance as a casting rod. And go to at least 40 pound test and you will feel far more in "control" of the sinker and line breakage. I cast up to 12 ounce weights without problem on 40 pound test. However make sure your rod is rated for that level of sinker weight and pound test line. I spent $150 bucks to get a rod that would handle that weight. My "ordinary" $35 rod will only go to 6 ounces (and I catch 95% of my fish on the elcheapo--there's a message in that).

John

14. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    My longest cast with a tournament casting rod is 706 feet. My longest "MEASURED" cast with a surf rod is over 500. Everyday "MEASURED" casts are in the 350 foot range unless the wind is in my face (it also depends on wind velocity), where it can drop significantly.

Guys are capable of and regularly hit casts in fishing scenarios at or over 300 feet. And, of course, there are guys that are not able to do that.

If Patrick wants an outfit that will let him reach a little bit, why tell him he can't or shouldn't?

One can cast 50 feet with a distance casting rod to reach the close fish, if he/she wishes. They're certainly not going to reach to 300 ft with an everyday rod/reel.

15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    griz- thanks for the reference

madiaz- there are a few more sites like that one like breakawausa.com, bassbarn, and stripersurf.com to name a few (hopefully its ok to mention other sites)

john6518- try dropping down to 15 or 20lb test and using that 40lb for a shockleader that'll increase your distance.

alton- well said

patrick- first i posted awhile ago about an outfit that wouls cast 150yds for less than 200 dollars,however based on your need we're going to have to get creative to stay at or near that 200 dollars. the rod i'd recommend is an ocean master 12ft its rated for up to 10oz and can do more and costs 130 dollars next try switching to 20-30lb braid on your current reel this move alone can add 50% to your casting distance. next use a shockleader especially if you're throwing 6oz use at least 40lb test 50 would be better. next use some kind of finger protection i use a leather work glove with this protection it allows you to put all your muscel into a cast with worrying about cutting your finger. the final phase of this is to use a rig designed for long distance such as a clipped down pulley rig you can google that to get an idea of what it looks like.if you put all this together you should reach 125-150 yds.

16. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Great advice & that OM is a very capable rod.

Another userful site - sportcastusa.blogspot.com

17. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Hey John, i used to think like that as well and it's really not the equipment it's the person. you could probably spend like 3k on a titanium golf club but that does not guarantee you will get it even close to what a Tiger Woods can do. However if you watch your form , practice and learn you could maybe get a bit close depending on you're dedication. But then again... the good stuff is way worth it. You could drive to work in a honda civic everyday but if you could afford it wouldn't a corvette be nicer.. umm i mean faster :wink:

Patrick, i don't use spinning gear anymore but it would be perfect for chucking lead out. Just use a big stick and you definitely will need hand protection really good tips from mrmarkedwards. I use to snap bunches of lead and lures till i learned about schock leaders. But then again there is only so much you can do with live bait. too hard and the bluegill will come off the hook. a longer rod will let you swing the bait out without so much force keeping it lively and tasty for some predator.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Take a look at planerboards. If you can set the board out into current near shore, the board should take your line out as far as you like. You might have a problem keeping your bait & sinker from hanging down and getting hung up while you're putting it out, but you could rig something like a lifesaver rig to hold it up long enough to get it out to deep water.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Originally Posted by John6518 [​IMG]

I have read of folks claiming to through 200 yards per cast. I find that difficult to believe based on my reseach above. But maybe they are just way better than me, different equipment, etc. I seem to cast about the same as others I have watched who claim to be experts.

Has anyone actually measured casts like I am talking about above?

i have measured my casts with different rods,reels,lines,and rigs.

the farthest i have casted just a sinker officially is 758ft, unofficially its 820ft(with braid) i have thrown an 8oz sinker and a 6in sassy shad 511ft, a 6oz sinker and a 3in peice of a rubber worm 642ft, a 3oz sinker 675ft, and a 4oz sinker 698ft. thats 4 national records(i hold 6 total) for a spinning reel and i did all these and more with off the shelf fishing gear. not to mention my money maker i have thrown a 5oz sinker 330ft on an 8ft uglystik. this one ussually comes out when someone makes the remark "i could cast that far with a long rod too." then its just a matter of time before beer and/or money is on the line and we're off and casting and i'm walking away with their money and they get some casting and equipment pointers.

20. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Mark and Madiaz--I can tell you guys know your stuff--man I wish I could spend a day with each of you. Mark--you don't video do you? I have printed off your article and am reading and re-reading trying to emulate. Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words. You would be doing as all a real service if you would annotate your article with photographs and/or a video.

So far I have just casted into a tree behind me (opposite direction of the river). But my four year old finds that watching me try to learn the casts in your article is more entertaining than fishing!

Thank you both so much for the advice.

John