Long day - Boat work

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BKS72, Jan 22, 2006.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    My boat had some issues, so I've been working on it for the last month or so. Finally got all the fiberglass work done late last night, so today I got to do the fun stuff. started at about 8 o'clock this morning and got it painted, a new CMC power tilt unit installed, got the motor and controls put back on, and got a new switchplate installed and the whole thing rewired. Tomorrow should just be touch up paint, rod holders, and a test drive. It's been a long 16 hour day, but man will it be great to get back on the water with my boat the way I want it! Hope I don't forget to put the plug in after all that....:)

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Congrats on a job well done.Is there some open water around to test it out?

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    S'ville is going to be the closest. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get to run it today, I slept till 11 and the Steelers play at 2, so my day's kind of shot. :) I will probably take it up to S'ville, though, Saturday and try it out. If there's no problems, I'll take it to Lexington Sunday and do some fishing in the river, if I can get the boat in.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You will like the CMC unit. I installed one on my boat about two years ago and really like it.
    Hope you get to try it out soon.:)

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I was surprised how easy it went on. I've been fooling with it in the garage since I got the wiring done. It should eliminate the sprint from the back of the boat to the steering wheel to get off a sandbar before the current pushes me back on. The unit is probably worth more than my boat, but man, I hated pulling the motor up, pushing of the sandbar, running back, dropping the motor, and trying to get started again before I got re-stuck. I like the way it sets the motor back and gets it about 4" higher as well. I'll have to play with it to see if it makes any difference in speed. It's only a 35hp, so it's never going to be fast, but it it will get me to 30mph, I'll be happy.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Branden,
    Post us a pic of it,i'd like to see it.
    Ernie

7. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    Put a CMC unit on my pontoon last year. Problem was I couldn't reach the motor. Was always dragging bottom in the shallows. Now I'm in hog heaven. Works like a charm and sure was worth the money and little trouble mounting it. The transom was kinda iffy, so I replaced the plywood with a wolmanized 2X12. Seems to be working O'k. Have fun....

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    A good rule to follow is you want 1 inch of heigth with every six inches of set back. I got mine about three inches above the keel.
    The cavation plate that is. I run a 85 h/p evenrude. When I started out I was running 42 mph by gps and when I switched props and got thru dialing every thing in I can now run 49 on the gps. With slick glass type water surface I can tap 51.
    I have a good friend that is an expert at setting one up let me know if you need help with it and i'll get hold of him.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ok, finally got ambitious enough to take a couple of pix. Like I said earlier, the power tilt unit is worth more than the boat, but I finally got the rod holders mounted about like I wanted and the wiring replaced that was driving me crazy. Should have taken the pix before I took it out Sunday and got it all broke in with shad guts, liver, and mud, but it's a cat boat, right?:)

Attached Files:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Forgot one, rod holders.

Hey, Bubba, couldn't tell how much faster it was on the river with the wind and current, but it felt better (higher in the water). I'll get it out on the lake when it's calm and fool with it. I don't have it mounted quite high enough, my cav plate is just even with the keel, but I didn't feel comfortable drilling the top holes much closer to the top of the transom. But it did serve it's purpose, started to get hung up on a sand bar and just trimmer 'er up and walked off of it.

Attached Files:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glad she is coming togeather for yea.
    When you get around to running her the way you feel good about take note where the water is coming out from under the boat.
    Like how far back is to where you are setting.
    Bow down or up and we will dial it in so you will get the max out of her ans gas will be better.

How is your hole shot.
    Tuck that thing all the way in and romp on her then trim her out.

If you ever use a hotfoot you will be wanting one of those.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll do that, next time I'm out. I don't know much about how to trim it to make it run the best, so I appreciate the info. I don't worry to much about how fast it is, rarely run it wide open, but the less gas it burns, the better. Thanks again!

Branden

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You should be able to tell by the sound of the motor when trimming it. Just listen for that sweet spot. When you trim it to much the prop will come out of the water. :)

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Your boat is lookin' good Bro, thanks for sharing.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Also when you get her trimed up high she might start porposing. The bow jumping straight up and down. when she does just trim her down a little.

The higher you have the motor out of the water the less drag you have but you don't want it high enough where she cavatates on you in a turn.
    Like crazy said you will hear and feel the sweet spot.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you haven't run this motor yourself then I would suggest you go to the repair forum and get the decarb instructions and do a decarb on it.
    If you haven't put a fresh impeller in then do so it might save you a power head.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nah, I've run it quite a bit, back in July I had the carb rebuilt, new impeller, and lower unit grease changed. Put new plugs in it, too. It was on the water pretty much all weekend every weekend since I bought it (unless I was fishing with Crazy or Fishingbuddy4 :) ) and a couple of nights a week getting bait as well. It had a huge prop on it, guy at the shop said it was way too big. Since it was beat to heck, I went ahead and put the one he said was the right one on it.

I could feel it the other day as I played with the trim, it would smooth out and pick up a mile an hour or two as I got it at a certain spot. I didn't go too high with it because I didn't want to get the intakes out of the water, but after reading your guys' advice and thinking about it, the water is going to rise coming from under the hull and as long as I'm not cavitating, it should be deep enough. Thanks again, everybody for the good info.

Branden