Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of last year I fished hard but had a LOT of drops/on for a few seconds. I'm fishing from piers and casting 70+ yards with either a shad chunk, a live white perch, bream, ect. I'll match the hook to the size of the bait but even when I obviously have a good fish I'll disengage the freespool lever, slowly reel tight and then about that time he's dropped it or either I'll fight him for a second until he apparently spits it out.

I tried circle hooks, Gami octopus hooks, kahles, ect. I missed a bunch of good fish last year, and it's about time for all night trips again so I want to place a few orders and get some good hooks.

I usually use 4/0-5/0 octopus hooks or something similar. Are they too small or am I just not sticking him hard enough with all the line that's out in the water? What kind of hook should I try?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I agree with Pat. It sounds like you are using some large baits and fishing for large fish. I would try some 7/0 and 8/0 octopus circle hooks. Be sure to run the hook all the way through leaving plenty of the hook exposed. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
My question is what kind of line are you using and how heavy is your fishing rod? also length of fishing pole? obviously you are sticking the fish, but with 70 yards of line out you may not have the muscle in your outfit to drive the hook deep enough to hold well

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a few suggestions. #1 try using 45 to 65 pound braided line. Team Catfish has a killer braided nuclear fuzion line (which I use). #2 if you don't already, use some sinker sliders to attach your weight to. This allows the fish to run with the bait. #3 weight selection. I have found that when fishing rivers and lakes using pyramid sinkers seems to work the best. The point sinks into the mud as compared to a teardrop sinker, that seems to roll across the top. When fishing a spillway, use the teardrop as it seems to flow better than the pyramid sinkers. Pyramid sinkers spin across the bottom of a spillway like a top. #4 Rod length and strength will play apart in your hook setting power. I use any where from a 6'6 to an 11' rod . The 6'6 I have is a snaggin' rod made by Eagle claw and it has one hell of a backbone. But mostly, be sure that the rod you are using has a medium/heavy to heavy rating. The more give the pole has in my opinion, reflects a lot on the poles setting strength and landing capabilities. #5 Last but not least, always make sure your hooks are razor sharp. Even though you buy them new in the package, run them across a hook sharpener. I myself prefer circle hooks but as others have recommended, match the hook to the size of bait you are using. Hope some of this helps.
Happy fishing

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,665 Posts
All of what they guys have said above is true.
To withstand the force needed to cast your bait 70yds and not have the hook tear out I bet you are having to hook the bait quite deep. With as small a hooks as you are using they are probably full of bait. To set that hook or have a circle hook set itself requires a lot of force (more than you used to cast it out) to tear that hook out of the bait and into the fish.
At 70yds with a less than stout rod, stretchy line and a large lead weight, you would be amazed how little force makes it to the hook.
As mentioned, braid will help, a longer, stouter rod will help, and bigger, wickedly sharp hooks with plenty of point showing are vital...W

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.