The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I cast rather with my showered rods but I think the Penn fathom . I have neve uaed one but from what the guys tell me they cast far.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Zebco 202!

I agree with Grant, the CatMaxx will do the job, but you will want to put a power handle on it. I modified an Abu power handle. The only gripe I have with mine, is the clicker isn't very loud. I can't speak for the Abu Garcia's because I haven't used one, but I would gather that anything low profile like that will work well.

That being said, I used to like throwing a bait waaaaay deep, but have since opted to paddle my baits out via kayak. Seems like it puts less stress on the bait...and loads more accurate. Yes it is indeed a pain in the butt at 2:00 kn the morning when a channel cat or a wiper has smoked a bait, but the struggle is worth it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Abu's or shimano's are my go to but I have an offshore angler gold cup 6/0 that can put everything to shame with 8oz. of lead but it has to have some heavy weight on it!

Also Okuma's provide killer performance for the price

diawa saltist's are awesome as well

love alphamars as well heard alot of good things since they fixed the gears!

all of renegade's reels will cast a country mile too and paul has them priced well

the point of all this info is just look for a reliable brand with as many bearings as possible then its all technique from their!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everybody. I was looking at getting an Abu Garcia 7000 cs pro rocket. Anyone ever use that reel?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody. I was looking at getting an Abu Garcia 7000 cs pro rocket. Anyone ever use that reel?
Alex:

I purchased an Abu Garcia 7000 CS Pro Rocket last year for long casts, and after using it for a few fishing trips, I was disappointed and it's the main reason why I now buy only Shimano Calcutta's or use my older Swedish-made Abu's.

My overall impression of the Pro Rocket is that it just feels, for lack of better words, cheap and clunky.

I recently had ceramic bearings installed in a 23 year old Abu 7000C but it was a smoother and better-built reel than the Pro Rocket, before the new bearings were installed.

I'm with Brian73 on the recommendation of the Shimano Calcutta 700 being one of the best long distance bait casters. With 80 # Power Pro and 8 ounces of lead, you can easily make casts of 75 to 125 yards with little effort.

The Calcutta 400 is even better but it doesn't hold as much line.

Now, the big drawbacks to the Calcutta's are their price...but that's the only negative.

Good luck with your decision,

Lee

·
Registered
938 Posts
I wish I had the money for a Calcutta but I was wanting to stay under 150 or so, 200 max.
For that money I would go with a MC 600 from Renegade, Paul is great to deal with. I don't own one but if you know anything about reel components this thing is jammed pack. It is geared towards the distance casting that bank guys must have. Don't own one yet, but will be in the near future and will be making it my bank casting rig teamed up with a surf rod. Pretty nice warranty on them also.

·
Banned
10,798 Posts
all I can say is I have three 12 ft rods, all three have a Abu 7000 on them, 7000 I, 7000Ic, 7000 BG HS wouldn't trade even the bushing model for any other brand.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I would rather not fish at all than to fish with an ABU GARCIA.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
with my 12' uglystick and a walmart Shakespeare tidewater loaded with 50lb mono I can cast a 4oz weight right at 100 yards. I can do it with my 10' Berkley glowstick with an okuma classic and 100lb braid too.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
557 Posts
Picked up some Penn GTO 220S off eBay they out cast my 7000 big game and feel better in hand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts