Long caster

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kingdawes, Sep 26, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I need some opinions. What is the longest casting surfcasting rod made? I am gonna be mounting a 7000ic3 on it and I want a rod that will make it fly like rocket. My 12' big water ugly stik is just not cutting it.

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never used, but I believe alot of people seem to favor the Breakaway rod for distance. I would recommend the Okuma Solaris Surf SCC1202MH. This rod is 12' and lure rated 3-8oz. I use mine with a 6500cs Pro Rocket and usually cast 4oz and bait. I could not ask for a better set up. I also have the Ocean Master 12' from Bass Pro which is on sale now for $89.00. I use my 7000ics Pro Rocket on this, but have only use one time. The rod feels very solid and handles 6oz and bait easily. Good luck.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Generally, the longer the rod, the greater the distance = BUT it all depends upon the guy holding the rod. If you learn good mechanics, apply proper leverage and follow through, you will gain distance over what you have now. Your outfit must be balanced... proper rated line, sinker in the appropriate weight range, and a flexible tip.

Here is a link you can follow for more information. You can spend the most of the day there. lOL

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=distance+casting+surf+rods&btnG=Google+Search

4. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i throw a breakaway ldx 13foot i have two of them and my father also has two which he throws 7000ci on they throw well and breakaway is east to deal with and these rods will hold big cats just fine 30lbs and will be just fine ive seen them in action and breakaway has a awsome warnnety i can put my worked 6500 chrome rockets on them and ajust a 4oz sinker and empty a spool of 20lbs like its nothing ask for nick and tale him Bobby from north carolina sent ya www.breakawayusa.com here the web site

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the long distance casters & snaggers here in central Arkansas seem to use a special-built 'river rod' made with a 14' Fenwick blank (#16810?). This is a pretty stiff rod, and I personally don't like to try to throw less than 4 ounces with it.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried to add this by editing the above post, but got timed out.

If you'll search the internet, you can find a bunch of sites on long distance casting. While you can get some very good information there, you need to keep in mind that most distance contests bear absolutely no similarity to actual fishing conditions. For instance, using a long shock leader to prevent breaking while casting, then using 2#-6# test line. You can certainly cast further with that extremely light line, but it's no good for fishing.

7. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well it looks like if a want a good quality surf rod I will have to spend some money.
    It seems that the Breakaway rods are really nice and still moderately priced compared to some of the other names in that division of rods. I kinda want a nice one(pricey) because a lot of the time you pay for quality. One day when I get to go to the beach it would be real cool to have a surf rod that can perform well enough to catch me a big shark or something.
    I appreciate all of the response and hope to see more.
    It's funny, before I started serious catfishing I would usually just use any ole rod I had. Now I feel like buying a new rod for long casting is like picking out a house. Priorities priorities LOL.

8. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    A longer rod is just part of the equation. Technique is everything. Also, unless you are using a 50lb.> braid, pay close attention to the information about SHOCK leaders. Otherwise, you WILL have crack off's and someone might get injured.

There are good websites on the subject of distance casting as well as videos showing the technique's. I started out kind of like you are, and now I have 6 ten foot or greater rods! Have fun with it. Doug

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great post.A lot of inland fisher folk are not familiar with the dangers of "break offs" when casting.Death and injures including paralysis from lead cracking a skull,not to mention hooks embedded in fishermen and bystanders including children.Please do not forget.That hunk of lead has killed in a break off.Do it all right and you will still break off at times!The unbelievable speed at that instant is what does it.I have used rods to 14 feet.All mine are old and most were Olympic brand with the shortest being a 10" Zebco Horizon.I used the Penn Long Beach for heavy casting as that is what I came up on.Mostly was with open faced spinning reels.I ain't never been much of a Jaws fisherman.I got a belly full of shark along with every other commercial fishermen of the 50"s and 60"s.They are dangerous to land and a lot of foolish people get hurt every year by them.All saltwater surf with the surf rods.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    kingdawes before you buy that breakaway let me ask you a few questions.
    how much weight are you going to cast? the ldx is rated for 3-5oz
    how much are you willing to spend?
    are set on a 13ft rod?
    what brand line and lb test are you using?

distance casting comes down to three factors tackle, technique, and aerodynamics.

i cannot stess enough how important a shockleader is. i have seen a 5oz sinker travel over 1000 feet and embed into the aluminum siding on a house.
    on a breakoff the sinker becomes in effect a bullet.

jtrew most tournament casters might be offened by your remark however i am aware of that stunt. it was done by 2 south africans that wanted to break the 900 ft barrier so they used 2lb test line on an alvey reel. it worked but no one reconized it as a world record cast. tournament casters have to use either .31mm or .28mm line this translates to 10lb and 8lb line on MOST lables but the true lb test is more like 12 and 14 lb line since igfa mandates true breaking strenght and not what the manufacturer says. as a whole tournament casters compete for one reason to catch more fish.
    have competed for 11 years and can tell you i am the only master class caster(725ft or more) that uses a spinning reel and off the shelf rods. a lot of guys come out and claim they can cast 600 or 700 feet until they see it then they realise they can only cast 200 or 300ft i know it was what happened to me back in 95.

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will be casting 2 oz plus my bait. I normally use 65lb test power pro it has a diameter of 17# mono. I want a good rod that will last and do the job that I want it to do so I am willing to pay the price on a breakaway if it is supposed to be applied in a fishing situation not tournament casting. All that I have heard about the rods is good. I just don't want to over kill. I quick to learn just about anything physical so learning the methods of proper casting will be a breeze.
    Does that rod suit me?

12. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    on my ldx breakaway i throw a 4oz sinker and bait with 20lbs line to be honest if u wanna throw far dump the braded line it wont throw like mono if it did all the pro caster would use it 20-30lbs line is all u need as long as u know how to work your rod and reel good luck

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the tip. So I will use mono on this rod and reel. Anybody have any suggestions on what line is best for distance, but still enough for a trophy cat. I thinking 20# but what brand is better for casting?
    I appreciate everyones help on this

14. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i use sufix triantiem how ever u spell it throws great or big game

15. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    if you're going to throw 2oz and bait the ldx is a good choice but if you're going to throw big baits or go shark fishing you might want to look at the breakaway hdx its rated for 4-8oz and when it was being tested it casted 10oz very well.

no matter which reel you use get a work glove(spinning) or a piece of bicycle inner tube to protect your thumb

now as far as braid if you're casting a baitcaster it doesn't help much however if you're throwing a spinning reel braid is a huge difference maker. last while i was testing the hdx i almost dumped a 300yd spool of 30lb test suffix braid casting a 5oz sinker and bait(worm).

tournament casters can't use braid because it is outlawed. due to its lack of stretch and until recently being available in moss green only made it hard to find on the casting field increasing the chance for injuries remember at most casting tournaments you can have 20-60 casters walking the field to follow their lines and getting "rubbed the wrong way by braid" is way worse than with mono.

16. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I snag for spoonbill, at Kaw lake in northern Okla.
    I also fish for flats off the dam wall, same lake. I use a custom made Lamaglas, 13' 7" with a Quantum White Shark #6 reel , with 30# stren big game. I can throw that thing a country mile with 3.5 oz bank sinker.

17. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will probably be using a 7000ic3 on the rod, it has a large capacity and as far as I know should cast far with a good rod. I am not much on spinning reels. Is there a better model bait caster that will out perform a 7000ic3 on a hdx or ldx

18. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    i dont use baitcasters so i would say you could do a lot worse than a 7000ic3.

19. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    your 7000 will do fine just keepem clean with good oil and check into geting you some good bearingsoh and by the way if your throwing 300yard with a spinning rod i think u just set a new world record:wink:

20. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will have to look into those bearings. I just wanna thank everyone for all the good info. You brothers really helped me out.