Long battle on Lake Hartwell

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Apr 15, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm sure we've all done this a few times while catfishin.We got our catfish rods set out and while waitin I got the trusty Zebco 33 out and put 2 red worms on and dropped it down to try and catch some more bait.We've always talked about how wouldnt it be funny if a big blue or flathead hit the 33.Well after 5 minutes the little 33 outfit dipped about 3 inches and stayed there.I knew it was a flathead but I figured maybe one in the 1 to 3lb range.I walked over set the hook and it didnt move.It proceded to go whereever it wanted to.Bruce Edmonds a member here was with me.I told him to see what time it was because this was probably gone be the longest fight I've ever had on a fish.I forgot to add that I had a gold crappie hook on it too.For 3 or 4 minutes the the fish wouldnt give me anything, I finally got approx. 5 foot of line and he turned around and took it right back down to the bottom.The 33 was makeing noises I've never heard a 33 make before.About 7 minutes into the fight a small blue gets on one of the catfish rods.WHile Bruce was fightin that fish.I tightened the drag down just a little because I thought the fish was close to done.Wrong, right back to the bottom it went.A short time later I got just a little back on it and it turned for the final time and the 33 drag wouldnt give in time and the hook bent just enough for it to escape.It was a sick feelin.It wouldnt a huge fish but we both agree that it was probably in the 20 to 25 lb range, which is huge for a Zebco 33.Definately one of the most memerable fights I've ever had.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've picked up a few fish better than 10 lbs on my ultralite baitrod, usually on nightcrawlers. Its fun but not what I was looking for at the times its happened.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you go out on hartwell today chris?

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    No yesterday.Not even I would go out today.

5. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    how did you do yesterday?

6. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I don't know chris i might could picture u out in this weathe Well not with my camera lol but fishing any way.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man that sucks about your camera.Did yall atleast get to catch any more fish?

8. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm heading to hartwell in a few weeks for a three day bank fishing trip and hoping to hook something good. This will be my first time fishing for cats there and I don't know a lot about the area. I've rented a cabin in "Hart State Park" on the dam side of the lake. Do you guys think I have a good chance of hooking anything nice in that area of the lake, or am I wasting my time with panfish?

9. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah i got 1 more about 15 but i could tell my dad was worried about the weather so we went in i would have kept fishing since they finally started to bite. Man the catfish Gods havent smiled on me latley as far as the weather goes. I did get my 10 ft drift sock and can't wait to put it to work on big mon.

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Man I have done that a bunch, I did it out on keowee. Except it was about a 22 lb blue cat, Zebco 33 with 12 pound test.

11. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    You can't do no wrong can you. Even the "bream" you hang are HUGE!!!! lol