Long awaited new reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by StiffPole, Jul 10, 2009.

1. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I have been using Shakespere Tidewater reels for the last couple of years. And an old ,huge, spinning reel that has been around so long that there are no emblems, or markings on it and I don't know who did make it. I don't dislike the Tidewaters they seem to be real good reels for the money. Even after using them for 2 years now sometimes I have these backlash streaks that are really annoying. The other night my first three cast all stopped abruptly, and my perch continued on, minus hook and sinker.

The next day I checked classifieds and auctions, and retailers online for a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner. I really couldn't find one much cheaper than I could pick one up at Bass Pro or Cabellas for. Even the least expensive deal I could find was not cheap, and alot more than I have ever spent on a reel before. I wanted (have wanted) one bad.​
    Yesterday my wife asked if I would run to the store and pick some things up. So I did. I ran to Bass Pro, which was about an hour each way out of my way, to grab me a 6500. Then I realised I didn't have an extra spinning rod, but only had enough cash left for an Offshore Angler Power Plus rod. Oh man, I still need some line for my new reel, thats ok though because I still have to go to Wally World for my wife. I can grab some Power Pro there and and use my debit card that my unemployment money is put on. Besides I am 60 some miles from home and my truck is on E, so I need the ATM to grab some gas money. Only problem is Wal Marts machine won't accept my card for some unknown reason. What am I gonna do now - I can hear my wife now- You are WHERE? You have no money or gas because YOU BOUGHT WHAT? I guess you can walk back down here and get your boat- not much gas there either but it has oars and you will be set.

I cross my fingers, and toes, limp my truck to QuickTrip, where I get gas, and find out there was over $600 available on that card. I got enough from their ATM to cover my shopping list, and a spool of line from K-MART, so it all ends good, but them plastic cards can be hazordous to your health, both mental and physical.:angry:
    :crazy:Or are my priorities just twisted and I need to join Catfishing Annonomous or maybe start it. I still aint giving up my new reel :smile2:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    George your priorities are straight buddy :wink:. hope you get a hog on the new set up. just don't tell the wife what you spent on it or learn to duck if she does find out :smile2:.

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    This is too much like real life. Can I change the channel, dear?

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Glad you got a new set up.If my wife only new how much my fishing equipment cost she would kill me.I just got a new Penn for saltwater fishing that cost me 800 bucks but I told her I traded another reel for it.Way I look at it is that I 'm not gonna be able to tkae the money with me so I'm gonna buy all the fishing gear I want.

5. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrats on the new rig man sounds like a nice settup . WOW , this post makes me feel alot better . I'm not the only one , think I'll tell the old lady im going to "look" at some new rods myself .:wink::wink::big_smile:

6. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I hear you---and you know before I got home that reel was on that rod and that 29.99 price sticker was still on that rod-- I mean that combo.:wink:

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i have a similar exp. had a decent chunk of change and ended up at wally world for somethin. got whet i was supposed to but like always i ended up in sporting goods. got a burkley big game rod, reel for it ( cant remember what kind), ugly stick combo, 3 tiger combos, 2 $15-20 head lamps, 3 cheaper ones, and a few misc. other fishin items. well.... took the loot home and was kinda taken back by her reaction. i told her it was not all for me it was for all of us. showed her the new rod i got her kinda hoping for some excitement but didnt exactly get the reaction i was lookin for. nothin got returned though !! i tell ya, some women just dont appreciate nice gifts :smile2:

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    1st and foremost, Congrats on the new setup and hope you land a PB, and good luck with the wife.

Lol, This post is cracking me up... I mentioned earlier in a post that I spent 1200 in the last 8 months on new gear, since I am back into fishing full swing. I guess I am glad I am divorced! Lol And I couldnt be happier... :wink:

BTW, my divorce didnt have anything to do with fishing, but I am fishing now!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    mine either, split not divorce though, but...... aint it great to not have the hastle anymore !! :big_smile:

10. Mosquito Bait

Mosquito Bait New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    I also find myself sneaking off to buy new fishing gear when the wife sends me on an errand. I try to justify it by reminding her how she repeatedly spends over $100 for a pair of shoes she may only wear a couple times. The marriage game is all about give and take. Just have to remember to give a little bit more. (more = another pair of shoes):wink:

11. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    EXACTLY!! the reasonwally world didnt take your card was probably because the type of card- know its unemployment card but i bet yu have to do it as an ebt/whatever card!! if i use my debit card i cant do it as a CC like icould years ago -they changed it where you have to do debit as debit!

12. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    My wife goes fishing with me probably 1 out of 4 times. She only likes spin cast reels. The beginning of this year I bought her a zebco boss hawg, or something with like an 808 or 733 on it. It ended up with 50 lb braid on it and she got snagged. Needless to say the gears got stripped. I have been trying to convince her to try spinning reels and got her a glowstick combo. She said the handle was on the wrong side so I fixed that, but its just not the same as a closed face reel. When I got home yesterday I told her that I had seen her birthday present ( an uglystick spincast combo). She said "Why, was it one that you wanted, so you figure you can get it for me, then use it when I don't go? I said "No, I bought the one I wanted" as I pointed to it. I swear- they don't appreciate anything.:roll_eyes::smile2:

13. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Another WalMart has taken it without a problem- I always have trouble trying to use it at the pump for gas too. But hey, I really ain't complaining just don't depend on it.

14. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I must be lucky because my wife LOVES to go fishing as long as its not killer hot out, she really enjoys the outdoors. Went and spent close to 200 bucks on fishing gear a while back and she was ok with it even though we are both unemployed right now. Rod and reel was a $70 combo and she said it was a good deal, now I've got my eyes on a baitcaster combo that was used twice for $50 and she said I should get it if I want it. Man I'M LUCKY!!:big_smile:

15. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Naw man, you got yer priorities just right. Your wife just isn't very understanding. :tounge_out: You got a really nice reel though, is exactly the one I would buy. The baitrunners are the ticket. Tight lines and hope your wife comes around to yer way of thinkin.

:cool2:

16. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    I spent $250 on a rod & reel two weeks ago & the girlfriend thought I was completly nuts for spending that much:smile2: But on the other hand she goes clothes shopping at least once or twice a week but apparently thats not the same:roll_eyes::big_smile:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats George. Ive got two of those reels. You got a hell of a real, you wont be disappointed.

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The worst thing about getting a nice rod and reel is that it needs a match since you usually have at least 2 out when catfishing. That is why my Penn 209 was great until I got a 7000C4 that is way smoother. Now I have two 7000C4's. When you upgrade one you usually end up upgrading two before long.

Save the 29.99 price tag, you may need it again!