LONDON SuperBowl???

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by DANZIG, May 3, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    LONDON -- London has launched an audacious bid to stage the Super Bowl within the next eight years, a move that would see the United States' biggest sporting event played overseas for the first time, the Sunday Telegraph has reported.

According to the newspaper, representatives from the Mayor of London's office and Visit London, the city's official visitor organization, have received assurances from the National Football League of a commitment to hold the event in London.

The NFL has already staged two sellout regular-season games at Wembley Stadium, with a third scheduled for this October.
    "We are looking at 2014, 2015 or 2017," David Hornby, the commercial director for Visit London was quoted as saying.

Talks have been ongoing with the NFL, which has identified London as the outstanding candidate city to host the event outside of the United States, according to the report.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that the league is not considering playing its championship game in London. He shot down a BBC Sport report that "'substantive talks" were under way between the NFL and London officials.

"We have never looked at London or Mexico City as a site," he said.
    The NFL again issued a denial Sunday that a Super Bowl outside the United States was being considered, this time via Twitter. ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4130864&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I though it was the National Football League, not the World Football League..... My question would be why?? I don't think the NFL would lose alot of American support, but there would be a lot of pissed off people.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    True, I do not reckon Americans would quit watching on account of that. And I would be one of the ticked but,

From the NFL's perspective, a London SuperBowl may increase world viewership.-Read $$$$$$

Can you imagine some of those European commercials shown during halftime?

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The English Pound is more valuable than the dolla?

If money talks, it will happen!:cool2:

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Goodell wants it to happen. His two biggest goals since he took over as commish are 1. act like judge, jury, and executioner and suspend players before a criminal trial even takes place. 2. grow the NFL into a world sport. He has seen the success basketball has had and wants some of that action. There will be a Super Bowl played in London in the next 10 years. Some points that most people dont think of (for and against it):

How many 'average Joes' go to the Super Bowl? Not many. If it is played overseas it wont hurt the common mans chances of going. If somebody can pay 10,000+ for tickets, they can fly to London to watch it. So attending the game isn't a legit excuse, the city in America that would be losing the economic boost associated with the Super Bowl would have a complaint.

Most American football towns are denied a chance to host the Super Bowl. This is because the NFL almost requires a dome. If not a dome they want it in a fair weather city where the weather will be somewhat predictable (remember Colts vs. Bears in Miami in the rain? NFL wasnt happy). So we are going to let an OUTDOOR stadium host it where the weather is almost gaurenteed to be nasty? So my team, Cincinnati can never host it (along with NFL powerhouses like Pittsburg, New England, Green Bay, Giants etc) but a city with no pro team and just as bad of weather can? That is my biggest beef.

Football will never take hold in Europe. Sure, they sold those games out but tickets were cheap and its easy to sell out 40,000 tickets once or twice a year. Does that mean there are millions in England, and other European countries, ready to support a whole league? How did NFL Europe do? Oh yeah, it was a big bust. That is futbol territory and the NFL will never over take it, too much heritage and it's too deeply imbedded in the culture. It's as crazy as soccer fans thinking that soccer can become bigger than hockey in America and Canada, aint gonna happen.

Looking at all this, I dont think the Super Bowl in London is a big deal. I wouldnt attend it no matter where it was, it will show on my TV the same. But I think it is dumb for the NFL to alienate, and aggrevate, its core fan base on some fantasy of making the NFL worldwide. Anybody remember when Coca Cola changed it's secret recipe to taste more like Pepsi? They didn't realize they had a very loyal following that loved Coke's taste and it almost took them under. hey, I remember something from Freshman Business class from college! :smile2: