Logs jams and wait time.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Blind In Texas, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    As soon as the water recedes in the Brazos a bit more (it's back up again), I will drift down river to various exposed and submerged log jams.

Here's my scenario. I just started kayaking, so, getting to new log jams WILL be an option.

1. How long should I fish at each log jam before moving to the next?

2. Should I drifting floating bait, drop weighted bait up stream, or do both for a bit then move on?

3. I realize water temperature effects the depth at which cats can be found.
    Will water temps effect HOW LONG the cats will feed in the shallows before they return to deeper
    water?
    4. Blues are my favorite, but, I wanna catch some flats. I have only caught two flats from the Brazos
    and both were under five pounds. Should I use live or cut bait for hunting flats in current in the
    outside bends?

Thanks in advance.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d try one on the bottom and one under a float.There aint no substitute for time for figuring out which jams hold the bigger fish.You,ll have to da a process of elimination.Generally though the bigger and gnarlier the jam the better.You already know about trying the outside bend ones first.My best advice would be to get your bait right up close to the jams and in their face.Then be prepared to move em away quick before they hang you up in it.I,d approach from upstream and fish down to them.Hope ya have some good luck!

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    1.I always use floats, especially around jams( Give it a little bit of time,even though it is early and cold the Logs suck up the heat from the sun, thus making the water in the immediate area around the jams to be warmer.

If your anchored upstream from them you can start 15' from it and let your float or bait suspend at different depths which allows you to get closer to the jam with the shallower of the sets, Let sit in each spot at lease 10min, then release and let it drift closer and so on until you need to re-cast and start over and allow one set-up to pass/ cross just on the outside of the jam. After you have worked the front , move around toward the rear of the jam staying on the direct outside of it and cast past and pull your baits to you following the above. You will completely cover the jam this way.

Blues will more than likely be suspended around the jams and piles, with the Flats laying up in them on the sticks. (HINT) If your float rocks/tilts to one side or the other pretty quick, get ready ! a fish might have already sucked your bait into its mouth, you need to nudge/pull back on it a little to find out if any restrictive pressure is present, then just pop your rod tip and see what happens..BIG BOY might be their.:highfive:

smaller live bait and cut bait works well for me at this time of year.

Hope this helps you out some..Good Luck .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I have luck with cut and live this time of year, just smaller baits and terminal tackle than during warmer months. I do best with a small shad or 'gill head with the gut pocket attached. I would fish under a float and let it very slowly drift through the jams at various depths. When you get a bite, you will know where they are suspending. This is esp. true with blues. After you have covered the entire jam at various depths then move on to the next jam. It won't take very long to drift over the entire jam at different depths. If you have room, then you could bottom fish one rig while you float the other. Good luck!! Let us know what works for ya!

5. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Thanks, fellas. I appreciate all the replies and the information. I really treat these posts like homework. A lot of times I will check through my replies before I go fishing in new areas. I have fished quite a bit on and off for the last many years, but, since October 09 have I gotten serious about learning what it takes hunt them out.

With the new yaks most of the river is now available for me to hunt. The nice thing about the Brazos here is there aren't very many places to launch boats from. I have never seen so much as a yak or canoe on the river. I am excited about finding the low to no pressure areas. Shold be some good fishing once that water goes down a bit more.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

We want to see a post and pics with a big flattie towing you up the river on your yak!:eek: