Logperch and others in the Allegheny River

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by blackburnian, Aug 8, 2007.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I was catfishing along the Allegheny River in Allegheny County on Tuesday morning when I observed some 3-4 inch long fish in shallow water. Their size, shape and markings were very unique. I got home to my library and identified them as Logperch. Discoveries like these are so interesting to me because it gets me wondering how many fish species we have on our three rivers these days. Last fall I caught an American Eel at this spot and when I was a teenager a friend caught a 5-inch darter-like fish that we called a "sand darter" for lack of a better name.
    Does anyone else have experiences with unusual species on our waterways? I remember a survey of Pine Creek in Allegheny County coming up with 24 species of minnows or minnow-like fish.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I remember the 1st time I caught a Mooneye a few years back. I didn't know what the heck it was!:crazy:

3. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    This is a great post !! I remeber the first time I saw a mooneye. That is one cool fish and if there wasn't an oldtimer near by to tell me what it was I would have went home with tales of the mystery chrome fish with giant eyes lol. I have always enjoyed looking at the small fish along the bank and seeing all the intereting colors and shapes however I have never taken the time to find out what type they were. I may just have to try a few. I do rememer reading somewhere once that the allegheny river supports a diversity of fish and ofther water life rivaled only by rivers such as the nile. I never thought of our river like that but when you think about it there are very few fresh water fish you cannot find in the allegheny. Thanks again for the great post!!

4. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I have fished the allegheny alot up from the dam down. there is some weird looking fish in there.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I thought I saw a stickleback once in a local stream when I was in high school but when I went back to look for it, it was gone. I love finding new critters.

6. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I am remembering now a fish that I caught at the Montgomery Lock and Dam on the Ohio River around 1995-6. It was shad or herring like with a "barracuda" look. It took a fathead minnow under a bobber. Turns out it was a Skipjack Herring. Skipjacks were being caught in the Pittsburgh area a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any lately. Gar were the news this year. I assume that they are Longnose Gar. The first report of a gar I heard of was from Verona around 1990.
    Correction to my original post: we called the fish a "sand pike" not a sand darter, it looked nothing like a pike

7. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I just caught a gar down at lock 3 the other day. It was first for me but I thought they were fairly common. Great fight though!!

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I have seen alot of gar on the beaver and ohio rivers. They must of had a couple good breeding years.

9. mikepgh

mikepgh New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    ill stick to the 30+ catfish, in the freshwater..

I would love to catch some of those others though, more bait.. :smile2:

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you will get your self a number 16 trout hook a small split shot and some worms you can catch logperch on a hook.these little fish are great bait for small mouth bass and kentucky bass.