Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to try this spot tomorrow during the day and see what I can get into. I usually night fish for flatheads near a creek mouth with somewhat okay success. After some solid advice from you guys on this forum, I am gonna venture out to this logjam, river is only about 30-40 yards wide. Never fished for flatties during the day and have somewhat of a plan. Live sunnies for bait, standard carolina rigs with 10 inch leaders. Figured after some watching youtube and reading thread after thread, Id start by tying up in the deep hole and dropping lines straight down into the logs near the bank, then just move down a bit till I locate fish. Any suggestions or tips would be great, I have high hopes for this area.
LEON JAM.png

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,088 Posts
Make sure boat does not get tangled into jam. Or anchor/tie up allows one to escape jam.

When I have done it need 2 people. One slowly running boat up to it, another to hook it. Long 10 ft poles to drop bait into jam. Short ones to put 10 foot back. Or straight down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is above the logjam?
Cuda- this particular jam is almost a mile a long. So up river of the pic is more logjam basically for a looooonnnnngggg ways, completely impassable even with my jet drive (ive tried)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Is there any way to go down stream to come from above? Above should be deeper water and may hold more fish up there.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,415 Posts
Looks really inviting to me. I have found that if you are going to fish directly in a jam like that you better have some serious gear and lock the drag down. Big line, strong reel, strong rod. Those big flats will strip drag, wrap up and around stuff and end the fight in seconds. I fish heavy cover like that and loose way more than I catch. I have upped my gear this year to include more of the heavy setups just for this purpose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Steve, I lived down in Macon GA. For several years, didnt have a boat back then. Found a spot on a local river that is known for giant flatheads.

There was a small logjam on the outside bend of a tight bend in the river. It was a dream of a flathead spot. I tried several times to fish it, 80# main line , 100# leader....got absolutely wrecked several times and finally just quit even trying at that spot. Even with locked down drag and heavy line, the fish would immediately run me into those darn logs and fishing from the bank there was just no way to avoid getting smacked down.

Mayhem that spot does look like a good place to test your tackle and bust your knuckles lol!

I would start up at the top of that deep hole , anchor up upstream and fish at the end of the log, not directly above it. If no takers, then pull anchor, drift back to the next one. Rinse and repeat.

I personally would be trying to draw the fish out of the logs a little bit at least, not worth sticking them if they end up just breaking you off. Try to draw them out. If that doesnt work, then get a little tighter.

That does look like a banger of a spot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I personally would go as far upstream as possible and fish downstream. Stay off/away from anchoring in/near the logs.
Use cut bait and let the scent do the work. Maybe do a drive by 1st and look at the jam with sonar and see where the edges are and stay outside that. See what happens. Give it 30mins each spot. Move 50-75yds each time and do it again. Keep fresh cut bait closest to the wood, and just keep rotating the bait out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally would go as far upstream as possible and fish downstream. Stay off/away from anchoring in/near the logs.
Use cut bait and let the scent do the work. Maybe do a drive by 1st and look at the jam with sonar and see where the edges are and stay outside that. See what happens. Give it 30mins each spot. Move 50-75yds each time and do it again. Keep fresh cut bait closest to the wood, and just keep rotating the bait out.

Thats the ticket. I'm looking forward to hearing how this spot pans out for ya mayhem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts