Logbooks

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223reload, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    just remembering ,back when I was really trapping lots which I will be again I kept a 5x7 three ring binder to log things like set locations weather conditions ,catch and such so I could look back later and maybe see trends and overlooked things. I was courious if any of the rest ou you do this? I have found that after I started a log. My catch improved and I learned lots that I may have forgotten ,or just plain overlooked later.

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard I use to do this, years ago. I keep a journal on my deer hunting, what, where, and when. I also did it on my fishing. I have never been able to keep up a trapping log though. Eric Cottrell dose though and he talked me into keeping one three years ago while trapping with him on the river. He gave me a log book. It made it two days and it was wet and ruined. I may try again next season, as I am for some reason forgetting things the past few years. Mainly where I set traps. You are very right though. A log book will help your catch no matter what you are after. Good post.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like ya gettin ,little older might help ya keep track of things!!:0a33:

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i do it all on my computer for stuff like high cacth areas.and so on. i keep a log in my car for how many traps are where. plus i plot it all out on google earth and so on.

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I tell you, I some times feel like I have altimers. I forget things I just did. I is bad. My wife and my trapping partner get ticked at me a lot, but I just forget things now a days.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Ya I used to. Its a good idea. Not so much weather conditions but kind of set and location.
    I once found a trap after season and found my own name on it. I completely forgot i had set it. Bad bad me.I was running a line 60 miles long back then but thats no excuse.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used to draw a rough sketch of each area an mark each set on the sketch along with how many traps were at each location so I wouldn't forget any traps. At the end of the season I would write on each map what was caught and how many at that location. Water trapping on streams with a boat was another thing. Around this area we have a lot of trap thieves so I would have to mark each set I made on the opposite side of the stream and use drowner cables to hide the catch. I lose quite a few of traps every year to people, water and land sets

8. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I find if am running a bunch of sets now I have to do like fishhook and make a sketch of my stops with trap location or I will forget some .

Most seasons I start off with great intentions of writing down everything from set type,weather,temps and lure . By the 2nd week I have put the journal away . I talk to Gary Armstrong that traps coon here every year as his main target . He has a seperate log of EVERY year he trapped with all his catches and weather conditions as well as set type , bait and lure . What a wealth of knowledge for someone to be able to go back to look at . Maybe this will be the year I finally start and stick with that part of it .

Pete

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I've kept logs for the last 8 years. That's how long I've been trapping the Red River. I just log the number and kind of trap to each location. I've named most of my locations that I trap every year. I do not record the weather or water levels. I also record the catch from each day. I love to read my journal. It's really neat to go back and literally relive traplines of years past just by reading my notes.

It's is also really awesome to know how many critters have came from a particular set over the course of the years.

During preseason scouting that first year of our river line, my wife found a cross over between the river and a backwater lake that I had over looked. It was as good as it gets. She named it the "Interstate". It could not have been named better. In the last 8 years, that one crossover has accounted for 47 beaver, 37 nutria, and 5 otter. For 2 traps on one crossover, it just don't get much better that that. At the same location 3 years ago while me, My wife, and Tony were trapping on our week river line, a bobcat ate a beaver out of a 330 in this cross over. Me and Tony set a few cat sets. 2 nights and 5 bobcat later, we ended that Bobcat familys beaver raidings!!!

Anyone that doesn't keep a jounal of some sorts, I highly recommend you start. You'll enjoy it for years to come.