Log jam???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BassinWv, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Exactly what is a log jam? Is it just trees that have fallen in from shore? And how far from shore and how deep would be the best ones to fish?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i its were all the trees and brush have fallen in the river than blocks it like a dam,their aint to many in lakes, iv never fished one , not easy to get to without a boat

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Log jams are just logs,trees, brush and other stuff that has floated down river. When they jam up against something solid and collect more logs it makes a log jam. Most of the ones on my river are on the banks in shallow water or on bridge pillars. the best ones i have fished are in good current. Depth has alot to do with the average depth of your river. the river i fish has an average depth of only about 5 foot. So, a jam in 5 or more feet of water with current flowing around it makes a good home for flatheads. Don't be afraid to fish jams on the bank in shallow water with current, it is still structure.

4. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Could not have said it better than Josh!!

5. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    So the flatheads will come up into the trees i see laying from shore out into like 2 or 3 feet of water in a river. And how do you guys go about fishing them? Will they be there during the day or more at night?

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are most always there in the daytime and prey after dark. No tellin when exactly they leave so I alway have a line near the wood and a line on the nearest flat. Most of my flatheads come from within 10 feet of the bank in less than 5-10 feet of water. I am mostly fishing small and medium sized rivers.

7. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Log Jams are all I like to fish. I catch Flatheads under log jams in deep water during the day and shallow water at night. But always under log jams. I fish up river from the jams so the bait drags back under the jam. I have caught fish in shallow log jams during the day also.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Here, the Colorado river is very clear water. I have had success walking down the rip rap looking for logs/branches laying in the water and dropping a bait down right on them. I have caught flathead like this off of one small branch laying in the water a couple feet under so you can imagine what a whole logjam can hold!

9. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I found this place near my normal spot. Is this a good log lam and how would you fish it?

Attached Files:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i fish an area with similar structure and do really well! you would be surprised ant what you could pull out of there with a live bluegill suspended under a catbobber!! :wink:

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    The best way to fish that is um...... ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT MAN! Looks great! If there is no current then might want to use like a drop shot rig straight from the top with a sacrifice weight. If your on the shore a really long pole and try to stay near to straight down to keep from getting tangled. Might also consider 80 lb braid line to yank the branches out of the water when a fish swims thru them hehe.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    does the place have any currant pushing threw the logs

13. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Just a little bit of currant but most of the time this year the river has slow current. I did catch one small one there last time i went.

14. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    It's hard to tell which way the current is running from the pic. It looks to me like two trees with branches comming off them. I would try and locate the root systems of the trees and where the branches meet the trunk. These places will hold flatheads. If you caught one there will be more.
    Every log jam is different and each one has to be fished different. When you look at a jam think about where you would fish for bluegills in it. Look for places close to current that a flathead could hide in and easily catch fish swimming by. Most of the time the root system of a tree will be on the upstream side of the river, the current pushes the limbs pointing downstream. On the backside of the roots is great for big flatheads because the current pushes around them and makes an eddy/ slack water. Thats a great ambush spot for a flaty.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

How would I fish it?

I would set up about 3 rods each with a lively bluegill on. cast one into the middle of the snag and the other 2 on the outside of the trees by the current break.

THEN WAIT!

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id listen to kyle...hes a professional:eek:oooh::wink:

17. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    A lot of good info from all,thanks.there is a good flathead video in the video section unless you already seen it?the guy giving simenar give some of the best info i've ever heard.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The most productive log jams are those formed by sharp turns in the river. WHY?
    Several reasons: First they are typically at the edge of the deepest part of the river. As the water navigates the bend, it cuts the river deeper.

Secondly: Deep water runs slower than shallow, Flatheads like slow current that sits on the edge of the faster moving channel. Great ambush tactic!

Thirdly: all the Trees that get washed downstream during high water periods are going to accumulate in this "logJam" which equals very deep, complex structure for homes/hiding. Allows for increased populations.

Lastly: perhaps the most important. This type of hole has very little fishing pressure, because it is not accessible to the bankfisherman. Due to erosion this hole will have a steep bank or drop off of 10 feet or more. Less fishing access means a better chance to catch fish.

The jam in your picture will hold some flats. It is hard to tell the layout of the river but it appears to be on a straight stretch. I doubt that this jam will hold large numbers of fish and if it does, they will be smaller.

19. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Very nice answer brother hilljack! Thanks for the info, very helpful!

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I am no expert, there are a lot of people on the BOC, that have caught more and bigger fish than me. This info is based on my experience however, combined with long hours of reading on the BOC! I hope it helps