Locus this year

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman_eky3, Apr 26, 2008.

1. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey guys I was watching on the news about how that this summer for the first time in 7 years that Locus suppose to come back out, I figured this should be a good year of fishing because once the bugs land on the water they should have some fish, coming in to feed off of the bugs, I got one question do you all know if catfish eats the locus that falls on the water, thank you for taking the time reading this and if you can share any experiences you all have had in the past with Locus being on the water would be greatly appreciated.

2. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also saw the report on the news.I was thinking that it might be a rough year because fish would be eating them and nothing else.We will have to wait and see i guess.

3. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I've fished with locust, and the bass really eat 'em up. Never caught a catfish on one. We may be in trouble, 'cause we all know a cat will eat just about anything that doesn't bite back!:embarassed:
    Deb

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I remember one of these locust hatches when I was a kid. So take it with a grain of salt, because I was not a very good fisherman back then. But I remember collecting a bucket of these things and taking them down to the lake and being very dissapointed. Nothing. However I am going to try it again! I was pretty much a self taught fisherman and at 12 years old I had not taught myself very much! One other thing I remember is the cicada has a big hole behind its head. I think it is a sound chamber or something. You can stick a hook through it without killing it, so it will splash around quite a bit.

The cherry trees were absolutely full of cherrys like I had never seen that year. The birds were so full on Cicadas they never touched a single fruit.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think high visibility in the water you'e fishing means alot, that's why my (older) fishing partner chose Dale Hollow Lake, the water is very clear there. I remember that you couldn't hardly get a bass to strike because they were so full of the cicadas, but literally everything else in the water was coming to the surface to feed.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Archer thanks for posting that link that was the first time that I have read that that was some interesting stuff, when I seen this on the news about the Locus and stuff I figured, it would be pretty good bait because, fish eats about anything that sounds like that was a good carp 18 pounds, thanks for sharing the link, I guess this summer we will all get to use them for bait and hopefully it will work.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I still haven't seen any but in a week or so there should be plenty. I plan on catching and freezing as many as I can possibly get. I've also heard they are really good to eat roasted in the oven. I'll try anything(almost) once or twice.:wink::smile2:

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I heard that the channel cats will eat those locus right up. I'm right with ya John I plan on catching a whole crapload also.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

.....egad..........me and my two youngest daughters (25 & 28) have made a pact; if one tries them, we all do (what was I thinkin...).I'm gonna check how to deep fry them, they might go down better crisp and crunchy!

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The cicadas began emerging here Sunday the 25th. I have some moist bottom land with big trees where they evidently laid lots and olts of eggs last time (probably for eons) and have picked up two cottage cheese containers crammed full of the bugs and put them in the freezer. When they come out of their shells they have to set for a while for their wings to dry and they are easy to catch then. I'm going to blend them up into a dough bait for trotline.

12. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Yes they are good for channels and if any one would like any come over to my house there all over the place.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'll let you and Adam gather them up for me.....:wink::smile2:
    According to my Cuz , he's caught a bunch of eaters on them so far. I have about 4-500 of them I need to get bagged up and freeze.
    I guarantee you the Channels will tear them up at the wall!!!:cool2::wink::smile2:

14. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky

I have got a bucket full already and if the city fathers have there way no fishing for me friday. :angry: I have a meeting and I'm trying to get out of it.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

That stinks!!!!! I was looking forward to going and watching you all catch some nice ones......:wink:........I'm still gonna ask my Dr if I can at least Channel fish. I doubt it but I'm gonna ask anyway.:roll_eyes::wink:

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Are they showing up all over the US or just in Kentucky? Haven't seen any in Mo. yet. Only Kentucky members posting.

17. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I've seen a guy fishing with them the other day and he was taken 15 eaters home with him he fished about two hours.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Not sure. I haven't seen any at my house but we went 5 minutes down the road and they are everywhere. I know their across the bridge in OH too, you can hear them buzzing away at Regina's Grandma's house.

Danny,
    Was he fishing by the wall or where? I'd like to get into some of that action, I bagged up 21 zip-loc baggies of them and have them in the freezer. I'm ready to go fishing, see the Dr in about 3 hours and see if he'll write me a script to go fishing, that'll help me!!!:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

19. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    The wall what wall I don't know of any wall :wink:. Theres no fish in that river I mite as well go to a paylake.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Pink Floyd The Wall,,,,,Thats what I'm talkin about.....:wink::smile2:
    You're right, no fish in that river,,,their all in the paylakes.....:wink::smile2: