Locks and Dams on the Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phillip puryear, Jan 15, 2006.

1. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    I've been hearing rumors that the state wanted to remove all locks and dams from buskhorn south has anybody else heard this

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The state can wish all it wants the way I understand it.
    The Cape Fear is labeled as potential use for a terrorist attack.
    The state never has the money to maintain the locks so Homeland security steps in, pays for some river cleaning to make it more navigable and the locks operational.
    I'm getting my information straight from the Fayetteville flotilla of the US Coastguard Auxillary which is responsible for patrolling the river from just north of Fayetteville to Oak Island.
    Alot is happening with Homeland security and the rivers here being that I-95 crosses two major rivers in NC and both rivers are water supplies.

3. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    they busted one dam on the deep river at carbontingand have heard that the one at hwy 1 was next

4. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    They will all come out in time. From the damn at Buckhorn to the three locks between Fay. and Wilmington. As far as Homeland Security it should be a help to make the river harder to navigate . Look at the Roanoke and the Neuse . The Shad and Stripers will be able to get to the upper Cape Fear to spawn. Also there are some endangered species that are hampered in their spawning runs. I hate to see it. We will lose some good deep water between Buckhorn and Jordan damn. Also below Fay. and on down to E-town. Its a trade off between the D.O.T. and the rivers. Our tax adding and money grabbing Governor will be sure to put the big push on anything that will add revinue to the pockets of Raleighs money hogs. Remeber all this the next election !!!! Don't fish that day, get out and vote !!!!: Look into how our reps. in Raleigh are giving our Menhadden to Virginia fish oil factories . The same oil can be produced from soy beans. That would help our farmers here in our state. We get nothing from Virginia except depletion of our baitfish.

5. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    we fish from jordan all the way to the first lock at fayettville except for a few places Hate to see the water level drop at all there will be no more fishing at buckhorn and lillington might have to trade the john boat for a pair of waders....

6. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    yes the goverment does want to take these dams down.......do an internet search for "torpedo the dams " raleigh news and observer...........the goverment has already taken out 1 dam on the neuse and 3 dams on the little river for stipers sahd and herring.............the gov wants locks1, 2, and 3 out but has conceded in not taking out lock # 1.........wilmington has its intake pipe just above this dam.....they are worried about saltwater getting into pipes if dam comes down...i have fished there a few times and i think (maybe wrong) that it would take a hurricane to get saltwater there........saltwater will riun there pipes......now you ask if they dont take down lock # 1 how will the stripers run up to us 1 if lock 2, 3 and buckhorn is taken out...........well, as we speak they are building a fish passage around lock # 1.................the gov intends to take out lock 2, 3, and buckhorn.........................................yes we will lose some water for big boats but from erwin down most of it should still be ok for jon boats.....everyone i am sure will not agree with me but i think the river will be better with the dams down.........i know this is for cats but i think if it is successful the cape fear may rival the roanoke for stripers 1 day.........also a healthier river will produce big cats........the cape fear will be fine...........mack

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    also, yes from lillington up, and espically above buckhorn up the haw to jordan and up the deep to that old dam may be shallow but you will still be able to boat it.......ifish out of canoes and the blue(46 lbs) on my picture was caught out of 1 of my 4 canoes in the neuse so like i said the river will be fine and in my opinion it will be better...thanks mack.....

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont think they will remove the locks because too many towns get their drinking wter fromt he cape fear. also if they did blow the damns there is no way for them to control flooding on the cape fear anymore. plus if they remove the locks what would stop people shocking from lock one all the way to jordon. not a thing. they may take them out but i hope not. it would hurt more than help. you could never catch a shad again by rod becuase they are not being stopped at all and would go all the way to jordon. but i dont know. the government is kinda weird like that. one minute no and next gone.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The threat from the Cape Fear that Homeland Security is worried about wont come by way of boat. The threat comes from the I-95 corridor which passes over the Cape Fear. They want these waters navigable before and in case of such an event.
    As for the shad runs up the river. The locks are set to accomadate the fish runs through the locks.
    I really dont think you'll ever see those locks come out.
    You'll stand to devastate any number of wetlands, cause severe erosion, and effect any number of towns and cities that rely on the river not to mention the flood control they provide.
    I can tell you, from one of the meetings I sat in on that Homeland Security owns the Cape Fear, not the state of North Carolina. It's Homeland Security providing the funding . Something the state never seemed to have.
    There has even been talk to make the river navigable to the same average 12 foot depth from Fayetteville to Lillington as it is from Fayetteville to Wilmington in the recent past.
    Homeland Security didn't just fund the river cleaning project for nothing.
    They were making it navigable in the event of.
    Homeland Security is also doing some things on that river that none of us are aware of totally.
    And lets not forget Fort Bragg. I'm sure at the river's current level that there is somewhat of a strategic value in it however minute it may be.

I think you'll see permanent fish ladders at the locks but the locks will stay.
    Any other dam will come out as we've seen for the last few years.

10. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    you all may be right that these dams may never come down.....they are not big dams but they are bigger than the ones taken down on the neuse and its tributaries.......i am sure homeland security trumps whoever....but it is not just nc that wants these dams down.......it is mainly the us fish and wildlife service.....feds.....................they may never come down but my opinion is that they should.......flooding is not the question......these locks and dams really dont control flooding ..................hurricane hazel in the fifties flooded parts of fayeteville.......the feds(coe)wanted to put in flood control....the locks were already there.....they looked a t the deep and the haw.....more water comes down the haw so the haw at the new hope river was chosen as where they would put in a fllod control lake(jordan)..........as far as the cities are concerned they can still take water out......they may have to move there intake pipes deeper or upriver .........smithfield, goldsboro, kinston, take water from the neuse and its smaller and no dams...........as to no shad i catch plenty in the neuse around mouths of creeks and whereevre...................also yes the coe can pass fish through the locks but nearly not as many as an open river.......also the stripers are more reluntant to go into the lock , some do but not many........if you get herring , hickory shad, american shad, stripers running up to us 1 just imagine the fry in the river.........a cape fear lloaded with fry feeds the smaller fish who in turn get eaten by the cats... ....these fry stay in the river for most of the year........in my opinion and the feds the river will be a better fishery........................i think that you al are right in that they may never come down beacause or various reasons and funding even though some spots may be tougher to fish i will say that the river fishing should be better in most places.....................thanks, mack

11. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I think that you are right Mack, with the fish ladders put in it would definately make the Cape a better fishery. I fish the Cape here in Erwin and would hate to see the river fall anymore than it is now if they took out the locks, but I would love to be able to catch a striper or two.

12. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    bufryda 1 how deep is the water in erwin and how hard is it to put boat in we have talked about it and are wanting to go try it it is a little bit closer than fayettnam just want to go to some new water

13. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    The depth here varies alot. In some parts of the river here you can jump across on the rocks and it only be 3 feet deep but the stretch of river i fish is anywhere from 12-20 feet deep and about a football field big

14. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    thanks man when can i talk you into showing us around down there

15. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
  16. maddcatties

maddcatties New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    hey mack I JUST MOVED TO CARY FROM JERSEY MAYBE YOU COULD GIVE ME A LITTLE INFO ON WHERE TO GO

17. lovetocatchcats

lovetocatchcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Would any of this cause any good for fishing?

18. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    i guess it means same amount of cats and less water.. Who knows???