Locking through Melvin Price

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guys,
    We often fish the Mississippi near Alton, but we have never tried to lock through the MP lock and dam. Do you guys do this? If so, what is the process?

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I lock through quite a bit. Tune your radio to channel 14 and ask if Mel Price copies. Then tell them you're a Southbound or Northbound pleasure craft and you would like to lock through. They'll tell you what lock to go to. Wait for the green light, the horn blast, or instructions from the lockmaster. There will be one horn blast for the small lock, and two horn blasts for the large lock. When you get into the lock, head to one of the floating cylinders on the sides and tie off to it. DO NOT tie off to any of the stationary posts!!! :smile2::smile2: Wait until the doors are all the way open and you get a horn blast signaling to you that you can leave. I hear they get mad at people that just take off out of there as soon as their boat fits through the doors.

It's all pretty simple once you just do it. Seems a bit intimdating at first though. :wink:

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    One little correction. You're not supposed to tie off to the cylinder. Just throw a rope over it, and hold on to both ends of the rope. DON'T tie the rope to your boat. :cool2:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    If you dont have a radio, there is a chain at the end of the lock wall. Just pull the chain and you can talk to the lock master. he will then give you instructions on what to do. Brother freespool forgets we are all not as wealthy as he and some of cannot afford them new fangled radios.

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Well hello there you old fart.. Did you get your computer fixed or did you just remember where you put it..Been awhile, how ya doin

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Brother Freespool has spoken to him on his fancy radio before. :wink::smile2::smile2:

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am ok its the computer that is lame. This is one of the rare nights I am getting on. most nights it wont even get to the home page. If all goes well i will be able to get a new pc next month. But still wont be able to afford one of them there fancy radios. Really cant afford a new computer but i got to have one to talk to my sons. I hope to be at the tourny this weekend. Aint for sure yet.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah I hope to be there too, at least for the weigh in if nothing else.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've locked through many times, always pulled the chain at the main lock. I have never had to tie off to anything, not sure why? They have always been very nice to me, they even took our phone number down once to call us when they were ready to lock us through! :big_smile:

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Bill, take a real good look in the mirror and you'll see why they were so nice to you.. I had nightmares about monsters the first time I met you... hehehe

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Half the time they want me to tie off, and the other half they don't want me to tie off. The last time I locked through, they said from now on they had to make everyone tie off. They said that with the river dropping so fast, they had barges stuck up in Winfield... and they had to start doing everything by the book because someone was getting angry. :smile2:

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I have never had to tie off.TIP for everyone always idle out of the lock or you will piss them off and wait for the light to turn green and the horn to sound.You don't want to piss them off because they will screw you locking back up.

13. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Steve, I picked up a copy put out by the C.O.E. about their procedure for locking through. I’ll make some copies and bring em to the next meeting. They all use channel 14 except L & D #25 (Winfield) and #27 (Chain of Rocks canal) which use channel 12... They also all have a phone # and Melvin Price is 618-462-1713

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I had one of the guys throw me a pamphlet the last time I locked through Winfield, said he had a whole case of them and was trying to get rid of some. I plan on running down there and see about getting maybe 50 copies for distribution at the next club meeting. There was a lot of good info in there.

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey save me one if the next meeting is during the week, I won't be able to make any of them.. I'll have to pick it up at a dollar tourney on the weekend..

16. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    does anyone know if you can put in at the boat ramp below melvin price?

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir. Welcome Ron!

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    NO!!!! I wouldn't want you to drive there and not be able to launch! I was there today and the boat ramp is nothing but a sandbar!!! They have ALOT of digging to do to make that ramp usable again, that or the water needs to raise! You definately CAN NOT put in at the dam right now!

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well there ya have it, I guess I had read it as if you can use the ramp there, not as if it were usable or not......... Thanks Rat.

20. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks rat, i did not want to drive all the way there, guess i will have to lock thru, or go to cb.