Locking gas cap

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Ulizth, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Appearantly I am going to be in a bad situation with theft. My new (used boat) is being stored at a local marina and even before I have gotten it in the water, I have found that my gas tank has been stolen. :mad: Well the marina is usless and says that it is not their fault and I should have taken it off even though I did not own it when it was put into storage, but that is beside the point. I have another tank on my other boat that is a six gallon metal above deck type (picture attached of type) that I an going to use and am looking for a locking gas cap for it, so people will have a hard time siphoning my gas. I have already invested in a heavy duty steel cable and lock to secure it to the deck of my pontoon better. I really do not want to take the tank back and forth with me every trip, but I have not been able to find a way to secure the cap or find some one who sells one for this can. Any help would be most appreciated.

Bill

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Take the can with you. If they'll steal gas, they'll steal a boat. At least make 'em pay for the gas they'll use to drive your boat away.

3. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I agree..take the can with you. A little more inconvenient, but worth the effort. They will probably try to pry the locking cap off or try to punch the lock. If you are set on leaving the stuff there, ask if you can put up some security motion lighting and/or a fake surveillance camera. Is there anyone who stays on their boat at the marina overnight? Maybe give them a case of beer and ask them to keep an eye on your boat.

4. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    missed my attachment . . . so here it is

Attached Files:

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If theft is that big of a problem there, I wouldn't even leave my boat there period.

6. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have to go with the majority.Take it with you.If you can handle a cooler of fish or beer,you can lug a gas tank. No one wants to be all set to go fishing and instead, go looking for another tank and fuel line assembly.
    BILL

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you should report to police and you wildlife people. Get a report. If nothing else report to local paper, it is most likely local, maybe even someone who works there. seeing the officals around might be enough to stop it, maybe not, good luck

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ever consider marking your tank so it's VERY noticeable? I think DH has his tank painted HOT PINK!:eek:

But all seriousness, it is something to consider if you marked it somehow or painted it with some design. It won't stop em from stealing em but it will let the authorities find the perpetraitor. After all, that's how DH found out JW took his!:rolleyes:

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Change your storage people, if they can't provide security, they have no right to reap the money.

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I hate to say this, but they will probably do more damage to your boat because its tied and locked. I say just take the tanks with you. I also might look for a more secure/professional marina.

11. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I had a spare tire stolen off my trailer in a storage lot. The owner has survienance cameras but wouldn't review them for me. I knew the 72 hour period the tire was stolen but he said it would just take too long. I left and took my stuff with me. "No Fault" is one thing but "I don't care what happened to your stuff" is another story.

12. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Thanks for all the input everyone! For right now I have it with a 3/8" cable and lock on it. It will keep honest people honest and maybe make a theif look at the many others that are not locked. At this time I do not have a choice on taking it because if I do the marina will charge me for using THEIR gas tank to get my boat in the water. Boat should be in the water in a week, after that I may change my setup to take it. Another thing I considered was making an enclosure but then I would have to provide ventilation so I have pretty much forgotten about that one.

Thanks again,

Bill

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bill, it sounds like you have your boat stored at a facility that just wants to make money without having to do anything to earn it. The first thing that I would do is get me a new tank and the second would be to find me a storage that has enclosed bays. That way even if the facility isn't watching at least you could lock your stuff up. The third thing that I would do is get me some boat insurance, that way if the whole thing got stolen you could get some of your money back. Vern

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Yes sir I agree with Doyle. I'm paying for storage of my entire boat not just the trailer and anchor. I hope you can find another place with a lot better security. I always feel that if you have to steal it you need it a lot worse than I do.
    Thats just wrong.
    Don

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I hope your new lockup works out, but I agree that you need to get that thing outa there if they are just going to blow you off when you are paying them good money for a "SAFE" place to store it!