Lockers

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Katmandeux, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm going to put a locking diff in my 02 Tacoma 4x4.

I had a Detroit Locker in a 2wd Ford some years back, and was happy with it, so I'm leaning in that direction.

Anyone here got experience with/thoughts on lockers? I thought I'd ask, before I wrote the check.

2. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    whatever you do dont buy the cheapest one...detroit,eaton, those are both good as are arb air lockers....you might want to look into mini spools...they are extra dependable and good for the money too

3. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    you can't go wrong with detriot. I have them in my 85 toy 4runner. been running them for about 4 years with no problems. have heard of the cheaper ones breaking. are you going to regear with the the locker upgrade?

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Detroits are very good. For a good selection try www.ringpinion.com.

They are one of my vendors, they are very knowledgeable & have good pricing.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i had good luck with auburn, they are not true lockers but are a great limited slip. Not as hard on your truck as a locker

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not changing ratios...been happy with what I've got. There's just this one hill on the way to deer camp that I spin out on if I'm pulling a trailer.

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    While you guys are talking about lockers anyone heard of any for medium duty trucks? Like a GMC Topkick 5500. Mines one wheel drive and it gets stuck on pavement.

8. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    If only one hill is your problem you may not need a full time locker.Look into detroits trutrac .Very dependable,and reasonably priced.A nice limited slip maybe better for your application.Good luck in whatever direction you choose.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Cretus, I think Detriot makes lockers for all applications...someone told me, years ago, that they're used a lot in the oilfields. I could be wrong, but check it out.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

Good Morning Cretus, try the website that I posted in reply #4. We use 2-1/2 military running gear in our swamp buggies here & they make them for that application.

For you a basic posi type set-up might be better. We cant use them because of all the deep water & sand we run in. It contaiminates the posi clutches. You won't have that problem with your work truck.

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How hard is it to install Detroit lockers? what is advantages and disadvantages

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm going to have mine installed.

I don't think the installation is all that difficult, but setting up a third member takes some know-how that I don't have.

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you do not know how to set a rearend up properly do not attempt it. It is not a job that a back yard mechanic wants to get into. You have to get the backlash and pinion depths set correctly. Backlash on most applications only have a margin of .005". If you dont have this correct you will ruin a set of gears or bearings rapidly. Now if you go with Detriots EZ Locker or a mini spool they are a pretty simple install. The biggest advantage of a locker is increased traction and reduced wheel spin. The biggest disadvantage is they are not smooth while cornering on a roadway.

14. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    I used to run Mud drags and bogs seriously when I was younger and discovered a Detroit locker in the rear and a Truetrac in the front was unstoppable and DEPENDABLE. I still have one each for ford half tons with 5.11 gears left(they're here somewhere). I had run the modified-street class(must pass a loose inspection with driveshaft loops and roll cage). What good memories. Stay away from spools, ESPECIALLY if you pull a trailer. ARB's are a cool toy, but when do you want to have it unlocked with one wheel totally free?? burnouts I guess. Lockers "ratchet" when you are turning sharp allowing different wheel spin side to side until you "get on it hard" then it locks.

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    If I was going to drive my truck every day on blacktop I would go with a limited slip rear end. It would be easier on the truck and tires then a locker.

16. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i was thinking about putting a locker in front and leaving the rear like it is. it is limited slip rear now. without the front engaged the locker shouldn't have any effect on the driving of the truck should it? i got a 1978 f-150 with manual locking hubs. should still drive same in 2x4 but in 4x4 how would the locker do on front? i just hate getting in a bind and one wheel spin on front and other wheel doesn't. rear i really dont have a problem with limit slip.

17. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    GET A TRUETRAC FOR THE FRONT. A locker will not let you turn hardly. You will start stripping hubs or breaking the long axle shaft on the front if you do not learn to get off the throttle when coming off a slippery surface.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would go with the detroit. My last truck was an 83 Chevrolet 1 ton with 4:56 14bolt detroit locker, and Dana 60 front with the trutrack. Unstoppable. I originally broke the factory gov lock of the 14 bolt with my 468 big block doing a 4wd burnout on pavement. I had Jeremy Naeger of Custom Differentials in Bloomsdale Missouri do the work for me. He one of the best in the business.

19. kevoson

kevoson New Member

State:
    califorina
    Hey all. If your only having trouble on one hill go with the air locker. never lets you down no clicking when you turn and you can turn it on and off so you never need to worry about it when your on the highway.:cool2:

20. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Dave if you drive mainly on the street go with an E-locker you will never know it's there till you flip the switch. A little pricey and harder to install but they work great. For something less expensive and easier to install the Power Trax no slip locker works great. But it's not as street friendly. If you intend on installing a locker up front a selectable locker works best. IMHO.