Locker quality brats at home

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well if anyone has tried and succedded with the eastman seasonings will most likly agree. there good. i made 2 batches. about 65-75 brats per 15 lbs depending on lenght and girth. i had 2 friends that made them as well. we all love them.

here is my 2nd batch of brats i made with some pork added. hope this helps some of you at home proccessors. these kits were available at wal mart-sporting good stores and online.

here goes. you need first 15 lbs of ground meat. this batch i used 7lbs of pork bacon ends i bought from a local meat cutter in bloomington illionis. then added 8lbs of ground deer burger. i grind my own adding 20% beef fat.

first pic is the kit. varity sausage. it comes with brautwerst,beer and chedder, itialian flavors and the casings to stuff them.

second pic is the cubed bacon ends and the defrosted venison burger. i added some habenaro powder to the bacon ends to add a bit of heat to the finished product. thats whats so great. you can experiment to your liking.

third is the ground pork mixed togather with deer burger. you can also use locker processed deer,elk ect..... burger.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    take the meat and seperate into 3 5 lb piles. add one packet of seasoning to tech pile. remember witch is witch. so you can label them for the freezer. top pic.

the instructions also suggest adding 4 oz of beer to beer and chedder flavor. second pic. i also added a 4 oz can diced green chili peppers to the brats as well. mixed in while it was in the 15lb unseperated stage.

the last pic is the casings. salted. take these out and put in a bowl of water to loosen them up. it will help streah them.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in my case im using an electric grinder with a stuffer. you can use a hand style stuffer as well. top pic is the casing (one whole casing) slid on the stuffer attachment. then as the grinder pumps out meat twist the end first and as you get then the desired length twits again. get a few off and stop grinder and cut them apart.

middle pic is some after there pumped out.

last pic is a pile of them. you might notice a block of colby cheese and some yellow spots in the brats. i added some crumbled up colby cheese to the 15lb un seperated meat. you can make these any way you choose. thatsb the great part.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    then all thats left is wraping labeling and cooking. thats these pics. i wrap them in freezer paper. enjoy. you can have great fun with these. experimenting is great.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well this is it. i ended up with 67 brats with this batch.:smile2: good eats this summer on the grill.:tounge_out:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post. Made my first ones this year. Will probably be an annual thing now. Put a whole beef in the freezer every year also. Will play with some beef brats this summer. Vacum sealed mine.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I guess I better use that stuffing attachment for my grinder and try a batch. I seen the casings and such at BPS. :cool2:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm still toying with the idea,looks simple enough to do,just might have a little trouble getting the family interested in helpin out ,they love the finished product ,but hate helpin reduce it to steaks etc. I'm a one man gang after the hunt's over.I need to get a good electric grinder tho ,an I'd be set:wink::smile2:

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good post! Sounds tasty! Nice step by step presentation too. Of coarse, I have the best brats/sausages in this part of the country, but I cheat. I have all the commercial tools and gadgets at my greasy little fingertips. :wink::smile2: