locked gun cabinet?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whodaman, Feb 9, 2009.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I just got my hands on a really nice old gun cabinet. The only problem is that it is locked and there isnt a key. now ive thought about just drilling out the lock to replace it but where is the best place to put the drill bit on the top of the key hole or on the bottom

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cory,If its a wooden gun cabinet,Just remove the hinges ,and remove the lock from the door from the back. I dont know of many gun cabinets that dont have regular cabinet type hinges.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    A lock smith may be able to make a new key!

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    Richard that is exactly what i did. my buddy dropped it off at 5 and i was in it by 5:05 im going to have to redue some things it has some paint on the doors and on the side so ill have those refinished. my father said to use butt hinges that would put the screws and the hinge on the inside of the door witch would make it safer from intruders and of course new locks but it is a fine piece of antique American craftsmanship plus it came with an old paper .410 shotgun shell heres some pictures of it

Attached Files:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice looking gun cabinet. :cool2:

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Nice cabinet. I would put the original parts back on if it were me, you could even take the lock and get a key made for the original. If a thief wanted it open they would just bust the glass anyway so it would not matter where the hinges are or if they are easy to get to.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Exactly my thoughts....why go to the trouble of moving hinges and fixing the holes from the old ones. It wont make that gun cabinet any more secure. A theif will not take the time to find a screwdriver and take the doors off.....he'll break the glass with anything he can find. I love those wood gun cabinets with the glass, dont get me wrong they're pretty, but i didn't buy one because i wanted something more secure. As the old saying goes....."the lock just keeps the honest man honest"