lock tite or threadlock ?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by tkoehler, Oct 2, 2008.

1. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Been having trouble with rings working loose. Is there a big difference between lock tite, or thread lock , I only want to do this once !!

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Have always used Loctite (I did not know there was anything else) and had great luck with it but make sure you use the correct one. Some do not work well in aluminum and some are permanent. I have used 243 but prefer the 222 for smaller screws and let them set for at least 24 hours but longer is better!!

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yeah, make sure you use the right one. The way it was explained to me the red has to be heated to get it loose (permanent), and the blue doesn't. I would say the only difference between Locktite and thread locker is Locktite is a brand name, and thread locker is a generic term for what Locktite and other brands are.

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I use blue loctite for mounting scopes. Good stuff. The red loctite can be broke free with out heat...if you have a cheater bar.:big_smile::big_smile:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Uncle Mike markets Loctite for sights...I assume it's 222.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well. the old tale goes. if you have a muzzeloader with a scope. you need to re sight it every 9-10 shots. i have a $139.00 cva that i got from walmart a few years back for $49 on clearence. and a $40 bsa scope. i used red lock tite. ive shot over 80 rounds and i could hit a deer between the eyes at 50 yards today if i tried on the first shot.

if you want to do it once. use red. its not moving again.

i hit a squirrel last year at 40 yards. didnt even have to cut the head off when i went to clean it. was already gone.