Lock & Dam Walleyes...

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by STC T&F, Jan 23, 2006.

1. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Was hoping I could get so infor for Walleyes fishing the Mississippi River, Mainly about St. louis to southern Iow. I have never fished for walleye in a lock & dam environment, i am used to the downrigger/planerboard tatics of Lake Erie. How safe is it? are there warnings if there is going to be a water release fromt he dam? What should I look for? Close to the dam or far away.

MJO

2. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    thanks for the info.

MJO

3. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    any body fish for them on the smaller rivers such as the illinois , not many wind dams in my area i cacth som pretty decent fish somtimes butt mostly have stumbled upon them looking for white bass then changed tacktics

4. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    Spring Valley Ain't To Far From Where I Have Been Going I Put In At Peiken About A Mile Below The Peikin Dam I Willtry That Thanks What Time Of Year?

5. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    thanks are we talking about the dam at peikin? or is it up or down streem i just started fishing the ILL about a year and 1/2 ago still not completly familur? i normaly put in at the public launch near the peikin boat club

6. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Fish Lock And Dam 21 On The Old Miss. Had A Really Good Year Last Year. I Learnd The Technique. We Boated Over 50. The Year Before That My Boat Caught 2. I Have Learned A Lot In A Short Time. I Fish A 1 Oz Jig With A Green Grub And A Minnot On A Float Tube A Foot Above My Jig. We Fish A Sand Bar That Drops Off Into The Channel On The Missouri Side Of This Dam. Every Dam Has It Own Special Spot, And Style. The Best Advise To Watch The Locals At The Damn. Talk To Them And See What They Are Doing. That Is What I Did. I Developed A Little Different Rig Than They Were Using But It Was The Same Principal. I Have Caught A Few This Year But The Past M0nth I Have Been Working On My Boat. Good Luck.

7. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    We Caught 8 Walleyes On The Last Two Hours Of Light Last Night. It Was The Best Bite I Have Had Going All Year. We Lost Another Three Or Four We Had Hooked Up. I Had Three Bites In Three Casts. The Water Is Clear And Starting To Warm A Bit. They Sould Really Start This Month. Good Luck

8. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    Hit A Few More Walleye On The River To Day. One Was 3.5 Lbs. She Was A Dandy

9. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We have walleye on the lake near my house. I just got a new boat in January of this year, so I have targeted them several times with different techniques and so far no luck. I think the advice of watching successful anglers and their tactics is important, but I fish mostly during the week and see very few other boats. There are so many different tactics in fishing,it's hard to try them all. I have heard slow trolling with lead line at certain times of the year is popular. So, just gotta keep watching and try to find some advice from locals. Still having fun, glad I finally got another boat!