Lock B - Cumberland River Fishing Report, July 3rd

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 3, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Dad and I set out for a little jugging this morning. We put in around 7:30 am, went down river a little bit and started setting juglines. After we got all the jugs out, we each had a extra rod/reel to bump the bottom while watching the jugs. We wound up with 7 blues, ranging from 1 -6 lbs. There was hardly any current and it was very hot. We pulled the jugs in around noon, and headed in. The best part is, we're about to eat the fish right now!
    A happy 4th to all!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Brandon, enjoy your fish and have a good holiday

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    man, i wish i could have been out there with ya......but i have this stupid work thing to deal with!

4. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Nice job! Brian and I went last night and tried jugging around riverside and redriver only caught one that was a pound and a half. What sort of hooks, line and length of line do you use and what other suggestions do you have?

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Daryl, we use a few different types of hooks. My Dad likes to use circles with his jugs, I like to use Kahles. He uses regular trotline string, I use 72 lb. "Big Cat" brand jugline. I got it at Bass Pro if you're wondering. We both like to use a slip sinker setup. It seems to work the best and has less chance of getting tangled with itself. I tried a three-way setup for awhile, and changed over to the slip sinker. One of the most important things is to know is what depth you'll mainly be jugging. For instance we like to set ours up in closer to the bank, so we had our jugs setup with about 15' of line. You will still get a few hung along the way. The only places ours got hung were where a creek was coming in and debris was shallower than our lines. Hope this helps! If you have any other ?'s just ask.

6. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds lke you had a good day. What kind of bait were you using? Nick

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nick, we were using a variety of baits. You never know how picky the cats are going to be. We used some cut skipjack, chicken livers, and old deer meat cut in chunks marinated in oil and garlic salt. I believe we had the best results with the deer meat.

8. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    TNVOLCAT, I think over the last week the cats have been very picky. I have been using shrimp, liver, minnows, worms, and stink bait. Some days one bait is better than the other and you never know when they're biting or what they will like from one day to the next. I have been trying to get my hands on some skipjack and I even went to the Cumb City Powerplant early one morning for some skipjack fishing and had not one bite. Where this time of year would you reccomend to get some skipjack? I have heard a few people talk about Cheatam Dam and that there are some there. Nick

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nick, I've heard you can get all the shad you can handle at the dam right now. I don't think the skippies are there right now though. I found a local guy that sells frozen skipjack by the bag, so I bought some from him. It wasn't very fresh, but it worked o.k. I guess.

10. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    right now at the steam plant we are catching tons of shad and they are all smaller in length than your pinky. if you have a basket to drop off the wall you can get them by the hundreds if you don't have a basket for the wall you can make one or buy one down there at the busy bee. i bought mine there at the busy bee for like $30 ish

11. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Thanks for the info it is all helping to put together a pretty good picture of what I need to do.

Daryl

12. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse

Never heard of that one! Where did you get that idea???????

13. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I love to throw some jugg's out this time of the year and find a good shade tree to pull under and sit and watch em. also love to eat some good fresh catfish.

14. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse

I am with you on that one Tom!