Lock and Dam?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Jan 21, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering how is fishing at a lock and dam? I am wondering is it good fishing vs a regular dam.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Goood q but don't have a clue

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I don't think it makes a big difference unless you are a believer in the barge bite. All dams will have fish below them at certain times of the year and all will have structure such as scour holes and humps. The biggest difference I see is one of safety. When they blow the locks there can be some very turbulent water. If you are in a boat it is important to pay attention to where you are in relation to the discharge...W

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok, thanks! I fish from the bank.

5. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi CJ21,

I also fish mostly from the bank. The lock and dam I fish behing is quite large. Besides the lock it has four gates and the spillway. Surface water goes over the spillway and deeper water goes through the gates. The gates are used to regulate the pool depth above the dam. If the river is high the gates are open and water also goes over the spillway. However, when the river is low three or all of the gates are closed and most of the water goes over the spillway. I think that the configuration of open gates can have a great effect on the location of fish. If the gates are closed and more water is coming over the spillway (along the west bank of the river) the shad, skipjacks and catfish are closer to the bank. If the farthest gates from the bank are open during the summer the water is much cooler than the water going over the spillway and has more oxygen, therefore baitfish and catfish will locate them selves in the cooler more oxygenated water. This is 150 or more yards off the bank. I think all dams are good fishing locations, but I think your fish catching ability will be better if you understand what is going on in and with the water.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This one just have one gate.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you will learn the locking whistles then it can be safe fishing around the locking dams. If you are in a boat be sure don't try to anchor. As for fishing from the bank on the side next to the area where the boils are at are the best. I have seen some big cats brought on shore bank fishing around these types of dams.