Lock and Dam 25 area fishing, at Winfield, MO

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay, not looking for secret honey-holes or anything (unless you want to PM them to me).

Who has some advice for a newbie that will be fishing this area soon out of a large Jon boat. This will become my main area water as it is less than 5 miles to the boat ramp.

Tips, techniques, baits, jugs, rod and reel, trot lines, miscellaneous, uptream of dam, downstream of dam, etc......

Thanks

2. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i fish winfield a couples of time i like it better clark myself.i like fishing behind the dam or the dropoffs.use your fishfinder to locate the fish ,mark them and fish them.

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are talking about a big fish area which means you need to use a big reel, big rod, big line and big bait...that little dog in your avatar would probably work just fine for the bait :big_smile:.

Large live or at least freshly dead bait works the best. Most folks net shad in this area and fish with them. A big level wind reel lined with 50 lb test on a large heavy rod with at least an 8/0 hook. Lots of weight 4 to 16 oz to keep the bait down in the current.

Look for structure on your fish finder and try different combinations and it won't take you long to get on the fish in this area.

Be careful out there though. The current can be wicked and watch out for trash (trees) floating down the river.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Small dogs work well in rivers work well for catfish. They have to be pretty fresh though, or the flatheads will pass them by.

If you have kittens, they work well too. Mal-wart sells Kitten-in-a-bottle spray in the fishing section (If you can't find fresh kitten, you can use a bunny instead and spray kitten smell on the fur).

Please practice catch and release though. Killing catfish is just not right.

:)

CP

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't forget to try baby seals either...the ones with the big brown eyes tend to work best.

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Darryl,

There are a lot of great holes and runs in that area. More wing dams than you find in other areas of the Miss river. I would assume that the wing dams hold good numbers of fish, but I have not fished those too much (always work the holes for blues and wood piles for the flatties). Lots of deep 30+ holes on the outside tip of the wingdams.

NExt, there is a deep hole right at the mouth of Criver Creek. PM me if you want to GPS cords, but you almost can't miss it. 30 yards past where Cruivre runs into the Miss. Lots of wood in that area as well. I have taken flatties out of that area, largest was under 10 lbs, but still a good place for fish.

Also, there are some +43ft holes down the river (if you have a boat that can take you a few miles). Stay to the right for 3 miles until you see an outpost of houses on stilts (with all the nice land available in the New World, why would a whole communtity build houses on sticks). Lots of stilt houses, like 20 or 30 at the edge of the bend. I dont have GPS for that one, but it is the first big group of houses you will see if you stay to the right. Pick the deepest of the holes and give it a shot. That bend has some of the best depth in the area.

Hey, one other thing as I look at your unusual avitar... You better give that back... Paris is out of the slammer and she is really mad.

:)

CP