lock and dam #1 sunday nite

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by gunny169, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    went out sunday afternoon, fishing from bank there was a few people out on boats but did see the marine fisheries warden, he was checking the boats. I didn't catch anything until 7pm, it was about 3lbs blue and my next one was when i was leaving around 11pm a 9lbs blue. using cut eels. sorry no pics forgot camera :sad2:

2. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Say brother were did you go?

3. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    I was fishing from the bank, just down from the boat launch

4. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Is that on the NE Cape Fear? I've only fished by Holley Shelter (Hwy 53 heading towards Burgaw from J-ville)

5. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thanks for the report, are they catching shad at the lock yet???

6. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    cape fear river outside of regalwood on the way to elizabethtown off of hwy 87 razorbak. we normally go fishing there after we get off from work, on the sundays that we work at the prison, a buddy and i. i talked to a few fishermen that were fishing sunday nite no shad of yet or at least they are not saying:wink:

7. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Never been there, I'll be stuck bank fishing for a bit, is it worth the trip from J-ville?

8. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    i bank fish also. no boat:sad2: from jacksonville its about an hour's ride and can be very productive at times depending on the tide and how much water is coming over the dam. in the last 4 years or so of fishing there if there is a heavy flow coming over the dam(freshwater) the blues tend to hit pretty good. if the water is low and slack channels and flatheads tend to hit decent. the cat my boys and i are holding in my avatar came from there it weighed 25.5lbs. i like fishing there because you just never know when the big one is going to hit. its a long drive thats why i leave from work to go there when i am off the next day. anytime you want to try that area pm me

9. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Hey brother, sorry for the delay in getting back with ya. I haven't been on line in a few days. An hour drive isn't all that bad I mean I drive close to that to go to Sutton Lake or if i go up to New Bern to fish the Neuse. Did a little fishing this weekend in the New River, nothing going on..even the gar were quiet!:eek:oooh:

10. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    hitting the lock and dam this sunday night after work. looking foward to a night of fishing good or bad it does'nt matter. this time i'll bring my camera for some pics just in case.

11. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Their catching them at #1. Was that you my dad seen set up on the Pee Dee below 74 Fri in the rain? A jon with an umbrella in the middle and around 12 rods out. He was on the Cape from lock 3 up today he said there was a lot of people fishing but did not get the chance to talk to any of them.

12. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey gunny I'm trying to get up to the river this weekend and was wondering what do you use to go after the eels?

Any help would be apreciated, Nick.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Buddy of mine called me with a report from that way the other night. They had been catching shad pretty good up untill the last rain and the silt pushed them back down a bit, but they should be back full again here soon. He got a sweet cat, no scale, but estimated 50lbs...He's usually a bit over but that still puts the fish over 40! He got another 10-15lbs, and that was it. All came off shad he had from the week before.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you're talking about Jason, it was a nice fish. They're still catching the shad in nets pretty thick and they're full of roe. It's starting to get good. I'm going out all day on Friday with my brother and a couple of other guys. Hopefully the water isn't pumping too bad.

15. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I need to get down there and get some shad...but with Jay lately, I'd be more likely to get my own boat and try to get down there. I'd like to see him get some pictures and actual weights sometime also. I don't think he likes fishing with me because I'm a stickler on having a camera and/or a scale with at all times.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    He actually got a pic of that nice one the other day. I finally broke down and got a scale of my own the other day. It's only a 50lb scale but I'll be fine if it's just flashing:big_smile: As long as it's over 50 that's all I need to know. My buddy Britton also has a lip grip scale that we use when I'm with him.

17. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Razorbak... Do you ever catch catfish in New River? Have you had much luck in the NE Cape Fear river? I am returning from OIF and looking for a good place to go catfishing. All the info I have found on the net says the cats are pretty good on the NE Cape Fear but I havent talked with anyone that has fished it. Thanks in advance for any feedback

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well that's good to hear! I can't wait to see it!!! So why don't I ever get any invites to go fishing anymore?

19. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Sorry about the delay in getting back I haven'T been on-line in a few. As far as cats the the New River I've caught a few decent channels in the eating range but I always let them go. NE Cape Fear is good as I 'm sure your read. I've even caught a few nice ones out of some of the ponds on base.

20. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info fella's