Location of the catfish - help me find them

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mobowhtr, Jul 13, 2006.

1. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I thought maybe I was starting to understand where to look for the different cats till last wkend. I went on the Missouri, and started out looking for blues, fishing scour holes at the ends of dikes. Mostly shorter dikes acording to what I read here, deep water, lots of current. I got one hit and caught a small channel, about 3#. At dusk I hit a hole in a side chanel that went behind an island. I had to ease through some shallow water about 2' deep to get to a log jam and depth went to 8' - 10' along the jam, I thought sure I could find a big flat there. I caught one 4lb and two 10lb blues in that hole.
    If anyone can help me understand location I would be grateful

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Brother no matter how much you know you can never know enough and when you think you have it figured out the catfish change the rules. I thought I knew a lot about catfishing until I found this site and my eyes were opened to whole new world of experiences and point of views.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sounded to me like you found a good flathead hole.. You may want to also throw a line in that 2' foot section next time.. Also, look for areas that make the fish funnel through.. Like a section that may get narrow between two bend/log jams/holes.. That way, when the flats start prowling at nite for dinner, they gotta go by your bait on their way...

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sorry you're having such "tough" luck! There's plenty of us that couldn't catch a cold out on the Missouri right now...

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I can not help you out there. It seems for me that the areas that should have fish I never catch anything and the areas that don't look promising are where I catch fish. I have been bank fishing for the past couple months and am limited to the places that I have to fish so take the spots I can get to. For me a day out fishing is a good day whether I catch anything or not

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You can sometimes drop a bait right next to a Flathead and he won't take it until he's ready. They tend to lay on the bottom with their heads under logs and such and don't move much until they get hungry. While SCUBA diving in my local rivers I've seen schools of them from 15-35 pounds all laying in one area. I've come out and casted to them and never get a hit.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fish can be finakey brother. They are like us and dont always want to eat. Sometimes they bite, sometimes they dont. I sure sounds like that is a great spot. Remember to move bait around, mix up live and cut bait. This will increase your chances.

Dont give up, fishing is poor here right now as well, could of just been an off night.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Seems to me like your doing all the right things just stick with and dont give up on that logjam you found it will produce.

9. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
    Patience, young Padawan. You've got the right script. Those kitties just forgot their lines, is all. Hang tight and they will start to show.

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds to me like you like you are already understanding "location". You were catching fish in good areas, right? But, just not the type you were targeting or hoping to catch.

I would be happy with that, since I could not even get a bite last Saturday night, in a very good location.

11. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I dont no much about river fishing. Lakes you have to move a lot. I fish for blues and it seems like they are always moving.

12. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks bros for all the info and encouragement. It just makes me feel dumb to catch a channel where I expect blues and blues where I expect flats and channels,going back tomorrow. I keep thinking that if I could understand more about location I would have a better chance to hook up with a hawg
    Will change gears a little tomorrow, will have a friend with me and his son who is about 9 I think. I realy want to see Conner catch something, even if its small and even if its not where I think it should be.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like a good spot... and 3 fish is better then a skunk or goose egg... When i'm out in the tournaments and well anyday... if i get skunked i'm dissapointed... but if i catch a fish (limit if im in the tourny) even if it/they are the smallest fish possible, I'm happy... My favorite thing to do is actually put out a line for the big boys and then keep my self occupied with the smaller dinks for a while till that big boy comes around...

After the last tourny on the potomac we still had more worms left... actually about a dozen or so... i fished at the dock and caught 6 fish in 1/2 hr on my ultra light reel just for the h*ll of it... 1-4 lb channels on UL is alot of fun... actually pretty well equaled the fish we caught in the tourny :-( but hey... if it works it works... and it was a blast esp fighting them around the dock and boats...

14. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Don't get discouraged. You seem like you have a pretty good idea of locations and in what your looking for as far a coverage. Remember a tough day is a tough day every fisherman has them, and a tough day of fishing is better than a good day any where else. Keep on fishing and you'll keep getting closer to the right combo of area and bait. Fish are fickle and constantly changing location.:roll_eyes:

15. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am glad you ask this question because you took words outa my mouth. The replies are also giving me some input as well. Good fishin everyone.

16. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Well, I went back yesterday afternoon, Gary and his son couldn't go at the last minute so I called another friend and he and his girlfriend came to the ramp a couple of hours after Dax (my german shepard) and I got there. Long story short, We fished the same holes plus a couple of new ones. One hole produced a gar for James and one for me, another hole produced a white bass for Sandy and that was all we caught and almost all the hits we got.