Location of blue vs channel catfish??

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Grizdog, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    I live near a lake that has both blues and channels. Last weekend I drifted through a spot and caught 10 blues and 3 channels. This weekend I drifted through a very similiar looking spot and caught all channels and no blues. Any thoughts on what small differences in habitat might have caused this??? It looks the same to me from the surface, same depth also.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think the blues just tend to roam a little more than the channels and you just knocked on the door when they wasnt home is all. try that spot again and i bet you will find them. then again was the other spot on the wind blown side of the lake or vice verse. was there bait in the area? your first spot could have a clam bed also. was it in the main channel with some current? blues love current. channels seem easier to catch to me drifting at times also. more willing to chase the bait on a drift. maybe slow the drift a little with a drift sock. so i think it could have a lot more factors to your question that just the area its self. if i was you i would look more into why the fish wasnt biting or in the location other than habitat. bait could of been your main reason due to wind direction or seasonal movement of bait in a lake. just my opinion.

3. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    You were right...........

Drifted the same spot this morning and caught 5 blues, 2 channels, and one white cat on the first drift. They must have just gone somewhere else last week.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well now you know why the tour. fishing can be so bad. in prefishing they are there but in the tour.....well they have left the building...:smile2: glad you you got them on the next trip. really i was talking to a fishing buddy of mine and he read a article in a magzine that tracked blue catfish movement and it would amaze you at how far they can travel in 24hrs. they was using some kind of radio tracking device. these lake blues can cover some ground in search of food or bait. they kind of like stripers to me. i love to pull up in the middle of bunch of striper fisherman and start catching the blue feeding under the stripers. it can get crowded though because them striper fisherman tend to group up when they see a fish get caught...:wink:i did it last year on one my home lakes and caught 21 blues that day drifting. them striper fisherman was about to get in the boat with me until they figured out what i was catching. alot of fun.

5. Cat_Daddy

Cat_Daddy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like Catfishrus knows what he is talking about....