location for turtles?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by rat fink, Jun 3, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi im new to turtle fishing and i was wondering how do you find out if there are aney turtles in your spot if it helps i fish in a river with prity fast current

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    You should just fish anywhere I fish because I always seem to find them.:sad2: Of course I always find them when I'm trying to catch catfish. I catch allot on chicken liver. If they're out there they will more than likely bite. What kind of turtles are you trying to locate and where are you at?

3. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    nun in perticular i just had turtle soup a wile a go and it was delictbal and i thought i might try my hand at it ive cought a snapper before but not in the spot im talking about and it was by accedent

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    try casting cut bait in pools of slow current in a rive where turtles are known to live......

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you want to catch turtles, just take a female, every time my wife goes she catches at least 1 and I'm not putting them in the boat. They rate right up there with a snake as far as getting in the boat.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I get a lot of them from farm ponds. The owners usually want to get rid of them and will let you catch them. I tie about 3 feet of nylon cord to a strong hook and a bleach jug and bait it with cut bait, ham, bacon, chicken, etc. Once they are hooked they will always come to the bank where you can get them the next day. I did that at a small pond with 4 jugs and the next day I got 4 turtles.

7. cenohio

cenohio New Member

State:
    ohio
    jugg em
    DYLAN.....

8. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Caught one last night on shrimp. The bank was about 5 ft down to water, and the turtle was so heavy it broke the line when I went to bring it up the bank. The turtle was about 18" diameter. I was fishing in a local small river, medium water movement. I have also gotten them in the past with chicken livers.

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    go in backwaters where there's little or no current. And generally where there's one turtle there's a whole lot more.

-Red

10. gmhudak

gmhudak New Member

State:
    Enon Valley, PA
    i'm really new at this too and actually just started on friday but so far i got six snappers. It seems to me that the hooks that are most active have submerged wood around them and slow or no current around sandy or clay shores.

11. gmhudak

gmhudak New Member

State:
    Enon Valley, PA
    friday got two and four sunday

Attached Files:

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I get a lot of them from farm ponds. The owners usually want to get rid of them and will let you catch them. I tie about 3 feet of nylon cord to a strong hook and a bleach jug and bait it with cut bait, ham, bacon, chicken, etc. Once they are hooked they will always come to the bank where you can get them the next day. I did that at a small pond with 4 jugs and the next day I got 4 turtles....

what i was thinking also :) and anywhere else you dont wanna catch them... dont try you will catch one!