Locating suspended channel cats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wolfman, Aug 16, 2005.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Try using a crawdad imitation crankbait when looking for suspended channels. I have caught more channel cats on this type of lure than any other game fish. Works well in both rivers and lakes.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the advice wolfman, never thought of using a crankbait for channels.

3. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    i have to admit that my biggest catfish by rod n reel (8.5lb channel) was caught while bass fishing with a crankbait. It wasn't a crawdad imitation, but it was brown with gold glitter, so it was similar. And, my only flathead by rod n reel was caught while bass fishing also. I was pitching a brush-hog (white) at docks. I think most of them are just reaction strikes though.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Are you just random casting or trolling the bait?

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I caught the channel cat when i was trolling across a rocky point that was about 14 ft. deep.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually just random cast around structure just as you would bass fishing only in a little deeper water. Best time is early mornings.

7. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I once caught a channel while trolling for white bass with a brown and yellow crank bait. It was about 9:30 and in about 20 feet of water by the dam at lake viking. Thats the only one I caught on a hard bait.

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    As far as the open water i fish "lakes and the saginaw bay" in mi I have found that when i am trying to locate suspended cats trolling cranks hot and tots! or drift fishing jig and crawler or jig and cut chud and a good fish finder work the best and slow 1 to 1.5 mph hope this helps!

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i saw my dad catch a channel about 6 pound on a buzz bait it slamed it lol

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I will have to try that. I locate them by drifting and moving the bait at different depths with cut bait. Seems to work for me.

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I know a lot if bass fisherman who regularly take large channels while throwing bass lures, everything from plastics to cranks and spinner baits. While I have never tried these myself I suppose through their expierience it works.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Wolfman is right"!

I have caught some nice Channels on Crawdad color crankbaits while Blackbass fishing.

Bert :cool:

13. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Sounds like the crawdad color is proven to work. next time I go on a boat I will give one a toss. Hopefully I catch a cat, but who knows whats gonna bite it.

14. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    I went walleye fishing with my dad and some of his friends an we were trolling various colore crankbait and did pretty well on the cats. it surprised me.We caught 5 channels about 3 lbs and 1 walleye. it was in one of the great lakes. cant remember which. the one on the eastern side of the lower peninsula of Michigan.