Locating shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I attemped to fish this evening. Went to Lake Travis and tried to catch shad with my cast net. The lake is so low that the coves are not really coves any more (shallow). Couldn't catch shad anywhere. I used some cut carp and live perch with no luck. Headed home eary. This is the first time I've ever been skunked on that lake. Seems to me that catching shad is the real challange in catfishing this lake. Once shad are caught the easy part begins and so does the fun.
    SO,

When it's scorching hot is there a pattern to locating shad to net them?

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    In the really hot weather it is really hard to locate shad sometimes. You would be better off catching them in their normal haunts at first light or a little before. Sometimes when it is really hot out I have luck catching shad around the concrete under bridges, but you have to be careful because these places are really hard on your cast net. Hope this helps some.

3. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    Hey Frank try the 360 bridge its's just up the road from work.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with Gary catch them at night around the lights.

5. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    yes at night or early morning around lights

6. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

Really? I haven't been skunked with perch before. Can't remember if I have with carp or drum. I have a 30 gallon fish aquarium and have a few live perch in it. Don't see much good in having angle fish and stuff in there or gold fish when I can have perch. No kids at home, so perch is good!

I have never seen a big ol flat head refuse a perch.

7. Lga043

Lga043 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you catch some perch use them as cut bait, I have caught some really good fish on perch heads!!!

8. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    yeah, I have too. They work well... I have cut the bodies in 1/2 long ways and used them in my crawdad trap, that works well too