Locating Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by hunterhnc20, Jun 29, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I fish a river that has a good bit of shad in it. I know this because I can catch them as see them at the locks and dam on this river. The problem is, they have the locks closed due to work so I cant get shad there. I also know you can find them around drain outlets but there aren't any on this river.

So how can I locate (find) shad in the river? Some say around feeder creeks but how do you know if they are there or not? Do I just throw my throw net and hope for the best or are there things I need to be looking for?

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    good question i'd like to see what people say on this topic!

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    when im out catching shad, i just go to a spot i think they should be, and throw my net a few times.. if you dont catch them right away, dont give up yet.. just move around the area a little bit and keep throwing.. theres been times ive thrown 4-5 times and caught none, moved 10 ft and got 5-6 in one throw.. one thing to look for is them flipping the water right at daybreak, or right before dark.. feeder creeks are usually pretty good, and like you said, locks and dams.. another good place is in marinas around the boat docks, and old boats that have been sitting for a while... boats ramps have also been known to produce shad.. hope this helps you..

4. aaroncross12

aaroncross12 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yes

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    from what I have read, best to toss net once, them move over a few feet... once ya throw it, it scares those thats there, so won't be there for a second throw

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After enough time you pretty much know the general area shad will be in but unless they are tail slapping on the top you won't know they are there. I have a few areas I go to that pretty much always have shad if you throw the net enough. I would suggest trying from 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after dusk/dawn. It seems like right when it starts to get dark they really start to slap the water a lot and you can see right where they are. I have seen it so bad around dusk that it looks like the water is actually boiling.

7. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    U can locate them on ur graph. They show up on it as a red dot, (not exactly a perfect dot) Or atleast it does on my 502 eagle depthfinder. Hope that helps out!

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    on my home river here in arkansas i look for the cranes and egrets on the banks. if you can find the birds then u have found the shad.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Some great advice given so far. I agree with the timing (early morning just before sunup they are usually flipping up top making locating them easier). Those cranes are also a great give-away. Scanning the water with your fish finder can also help, your screen will go black, bingo. My favorite areas are shallow mud flats.....<10ft. We are spoiled here in VA with gill nets, set it for a few minutes and go back and pick the shad out. But a knowledgeable fisherman with a cast net is just as deadly.

10. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can spot shad on your fishfinder they show up as a cloud. And if you find them don't get discouraged if you don't catch them right away. Keep throwing your cast net because shad tend to swim in circles even if you miss they will come back around.

11. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    We always get our shad in the feeder creeks. Sometimes they are hard to come by depending on their spawning cycles and such. Alot of the time on a boat you can throttle up a little and they will start jumping and throw as soon as you see them jumping. After some time you will figure out where they are, and what creeks they are in.

12. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    YOU CAN LOCATE THEM ON A DEPTH FINDER LOOK FOR THE BAIT BALLS

13. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use feeder creeks. By the boat ramp is always a good place to for some reason. Maybe the swirl hole from the concret. If you find a mud trail in the water it seems to pay off too. I wonder sometimes if they hide in the darker water so the gar won't see them.

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What I do in the summer time is just go down river in my boat really slow with cast net in hand. You still see giant schools of them on the surface and just throw the net in the middle of them. Works great for me and the river I fish. Hope this helps ya

15. rapoole

rapoole New Member

State:
    north carolina
    We get shad around lighted docks and boat ramps, also check around riprap and bridges concrete pillars

16. fisherman2

fisherman2 New Member

State:
    virginia
    when iam catching shad i just look for lil pools that are about 2 to 3 feet deep and i throw there, if i dont catch none i look 2 see where they are jumping, but i usually catch them in the pools