Locating Shad in the winter...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 30, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Found a great new way to find shad in the winter time. I was netting on the south side of our spillway(open right now) and couldn't come up with anything. It was cold so I figured that might have driven them deep. I scanned around a little bit and saw a few hundred "gulls" feeding on the north side of the spillway. I drove to the other side and began to cast in the slackwater near the birds. First couple of casts netted a few dozen decent sized shad and ended up with near 60 3-6" shad. The birds here in the winter apparently were feeding on the shad as they came off the spillway. The ones that lived through the attack were off in the mid level depth slackwater a few yards away from there preditors. Casting there was the only place on the water I could find any form of aquatic live. I know someone was asking how to find shad in the winter so there is a tip(if applicable) for you.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You did well, Following the gulls will often end up with a mess of shad for bait.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    You know I'm not even sure what kind of birds those are here in Illinois. They were large white birds(looked like seagulls?.?) had crane like necks and were not afraid of 39 degree water.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Gulls are also good indicators for spring white bass