Locating Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Acebusa, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    So To all you pros out there lets hear it..... How do you decied where to fish? How do you locate that perfect spot? Here is the deal, I have a fish finder, gear and a love for catchin fish, but need help on locating the hungry ones. First of all, When using the fish finder, Should I be locating the bait fish....holes and drop offs, looking for the fish just swiming on the bottom? Next how to determine wether to fish deeper water or shallow off close to the bank. Last How long should I try a spot before getting results, and decide to leave.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andy Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. When searching for fish think structure and food chain.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

3. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    Thanks, looks like a great forum.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    yep, sounds like you got it. the next thing is time on the water, nothing beats that for finding fish. look at the arches you fish on and compare to what you catch. I can find fish on my finder but cant on sombody elses. I dont like large schools or small arches but if it looks like a few large arches near by I will fish it.
    large schools of big fish are useally stripers in my opinion, I also think the fish I see that are stacked up on my fish finder is garr, large schools of small fish I presume are perch or crappie and will only fish that if I see something big near by. hungry fish is a whole different thing. sometimes they dont bite.:big_smile:

5. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Structure, structure, structure.... also, outside river bends, anchor on a flat and toss your bait into a deep hole. Hope that helps.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Learn to use a slpbobber. And structure, bends, and holes:wink:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try using a slip bobber rig, it will find them for sure.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    By the way Andy, welcome to the BOC.

9. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    How do you setup the slip bobber?

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Andy. What part of Mo. are you located?

11. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    kansas city mo.

12. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    Where do the cats go in this close to fall season? shallow or deep?

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

IMO.They,re starting to drop back now towards where they,re gonna winter up,usually the deepest water around without heavy current.I look for spots where they are gonna stop for a while on the way back.In the spring I try and figure out what areas they,re gonna use for spawning.In the summer and early fall,I,m looking for areas where they got good cover and a nice steady supply of food nearby.:wink:.

14. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Fish major underwater terrain features (holes, ledges, sunken structure, log jams, old creek beds) and areas known to have large schools of baitfish. Try all available options if they are not biting on bottom try drifting or floats. Good luck