Locating catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ERIC S, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    What are somethings to look for when fishing a new body of water to locate catfish? Need advice , I am new to catfishing

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd start off looking for structure such as trees, stumps boulders/rocks. I also like to find where a shallow flat drops off to deeper water. Also find bait fish and the cats should be close.
    *Note* Don't listen to me, wait for others to chime in. I'm yet to get my first cat of the year...:smile2: I think I've been fishing good spots, weather has been too unstable so far this year.:eek:oooh: At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it...:eek:oooh::smile2:

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Structure. Like the above post says. Stumps, trees, ledges, rock, boulders, droppoffs, brush piles, points etc.. All types of cover that will attract baitfish. Like catfishjohn said, find the baitfish and you will most likely find catfish.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with all the above post and would add. Follow the birds. The birds follow the bait fish and the cats follow the bait fish also.

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    this time of year find a wind blown bank or point with birds in the edge of the water feeding. when there is no wind you need to find structure. don't hesitate to keep moving until you find fish.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I disagree and say, definitely listen to him.:smile2:

my favorite spot in rivers are current seams and eddys; espacially over the 'structure' john mentions.

we can be more specific if you tell us where you're fishing rivers/lake/etc and what kind of cats your targeting; flathead/blue/channel/bullhead.

7. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    I will be mostly be fishing in small rivers or bayous in Louisana. It doesn't matter what type of cat I am fishing for I quess it would be witch ever one is easier to fish for. I don't know much about any of them. I am a converted bass fisherman trying his luck for catfish.

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    wow your fish commission stinks for providing you a lot of information about freshwater fishing in your state:sad2:

www.gameandfish.com is always a good state to check out. according to
    http://www.lagameandfish.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/LA_0505_02/index3.html

there is all three major kinds of catfish in your state. COOL!:cool2:

as for a bayou I have never seen one in my whole life being a yankee:sad2::smile2: but as a clue, I will say that catfish are known to have very low tolerance for saltwater. ie, stay away from brackish water.

there's so many differences between bass fishing and catfishin' that I barely know where to start. but catfishing is usually done with live baits or stink baits that are left sit or moved slowly and appeal to a catfish's sense and particularly smell.

my advice is to catch the 'bass sized' channel cats in your area and chase the big guys when you have more experience. your bass fishing equiptment is adequate for most channels that commonly go from 3-10#.

a bigger channel is as tough of a fight as giant bass but isn't much compared to a whoppin 50# blue or flathead and you're tackle probably isn't enough for this size of fish espacially in a snag infested bayou or small river.

Catfish in lousiana aren't likely to be suffering from coldwater this time of year... thats a yankee problem in april. you might even be near the spawn, but hopefully you've still got time before the fishing slows down for the spawn.

the people in LA will be able to tell you if you're in or before the spawn and thats important information to have because it will change where the fish are found.

I'm stopping there; I've never fished the south, but somethings are universal.:roll_eyes: there are many great articles and resources in many places in this forum. feel free to ask specific question and my biggest advice;
    Start guessing and go fishing for them.

a few channels shouldn't be hard to catch, with more experience you will have more specific questions and start to advance in catfishing skill...

Good luck, Eric.

9. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Thanks for the info. I am a transplanted yankee from valpo ind. Big diff in the fishing down here. The LDWF is only really good for enforcement. They do not give alot of info. I am going jug fishing this weekend wirh a fellow who is a commercial catfishermans son. So hopefully I will be able to pick up on some of the things to look for.

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Fishing with someone experienced really is the "short-cut" to success.:wink:

the best of luck and make sure you share you experiences with the BOC. some rep for beginning a good hobby.:cool2:

11. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    As far as where to fish, Most of the same things you would look for when bass ishing. The major diff is in the pesentation and bait used. I have never fished areas like yours but would think live bluegill or cut bait would be your best bet. Good luck and be patient.

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm from south Louisiana right outside of New Orleans..I disagree about the brackish water..I've caught many channels and blues in brackish water right alongside redfish and speckle trout..There are saltwater catfish too called hardheads but they are not good to eat..Hardheads don't grow very big and are usually a steel gray color and resemble a small channel cat but the small channels will have spots on its sides and are more greenish..The anal fin is also totally different with the hardhead having a more triangular shape and is not elongated like freshwater cats..I fished mainly the big lakes and small canals in Lafitte,Westwego and Des Allemands..I'm not familiar with the fishing in Baton Rouge..I like to fish the little nooks where the water drains in and out of the marsh in dead end canals..Watch the birds and look for structure such as sunken trees..Also deep holes with abrupt drops hold catfish..I've also found that the cats down there love cracked crab and shrimp..The tides play a big role in fishing down there too..If the tide is not moving then the bite will be slow..I always did well during a rising tide..There are also no dams down there but there are pumping stations and those areas normally produce large numbers of cats..There are some areas along the bayous and rivers that have grain elevators or shrimp and seafood factories these are also hot spots as they sometimes dump food for the cats into the water..

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I learned alot from former commercial fisherman. Them guys are great when ya move and got to learn a new river.

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Dont have a clue.Been catfishing all my life but cant buy one right now even if I had money.