locating big slab crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by mactheaxe, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    so, i went out on the water today and used minnows for the first time ever in this peticular lake. i caught a 6lb bass which is, my record and made it worth while, and 20 crappie. the magic number seemed to be 8 inches with one 10 inch who fell back in the water. my question is, do crappies school in various sizes? or can you catch eight inchers and decide to move. what info does this say? a school of medium to little crappies=move? or just fish it out? i threw em all back, but had fun, but was still disappointed because i could just taste em swimmin in the oil.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal experience has been they school to size. If you catch a 6" crappie from a school, all that school will be just right at 6 inches. I like to get into those 10 or 11 inch schools. Only times I have ever done that consistently was in February while stationed in Virginia (Chicohominy River), and late, late January while stationed at Fort Polk fishing in Toledo Bend.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ill second this.:wink: Nice job Lawrence.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And you see my idea of what crappie do is the exact opposite of what he thinks. and that is because i catch crappie of all sizes in the same place quite often. And my buddy told me that his dad told him that crappie eat in according to dominance. as in your bigger ones eat first and the least because they are first. then the smaller and so on and so on. so if u can somewhere and catch small ones its not a matter of there only being little ones. its a matter of inticing the bigger ones to bite, and spending a little time waiting for the bigger ones to decide its time to run the smaller ones back down so they can eat. And i firmly believe this and my buddy's dad is an amazing crappie fisherman and could pull a crappie out of a puddle in the highway if he wanted. so i believe him. And I have also come to find out that if you are catching small crappie lets say four feet deep, drop your bait down a few more feet below it. cuz i have had good luck doing that with the bigger ones down deeper, they are just slower. and takes more patience,but sometimes u get a small one to eat it on the way down. I really hope this helps.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First time I have heard this theory. If I remember it, I'll put it to the test some time. Each place I get into the big schools of crappie, I fished two cranks of the handle above the bottom, so I couldn't get below them to see if there were bigger. LOL

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have to agree with Steve at least in Barkley and Kentucky lake.If I get into a school I may catch only one legal 10" crappie for every five.Like it was this past spring I caught larger fish.I would guess that 80-90 % were keepers.I do find that the largest will be at the bottom of the school.Also on these two lakes if you do catch mostly 8-10 inch fish odds are next year it will be the opposite as they are now in the 10-14 inch range.It corresponds alot with the previous two year spawing cycle.When we get alot of springtime rain and the water levels and water temp change alot I feel that a higher percentage of the eggs do not hatch.Great post , thanks

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    next time u get into the big crappie that low bring ur bait up higher just to see if you pick up the smaller ones....just a suggestion to test my theory