Locating bait on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dumpysinclair, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I'd like to find some bait either this eve or in the morn. Any help on where to start would be apprecaited.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What part of the lake are you fishing and what kind of bait are you looking for? Bream, shad, perch, largemouth??

3. slipperycreekcritter

slipperycreekcritter New Member

State:
    north carolina
    How has fishing been for you on wylie the last few weeks ?

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are asking me; good.

The channel cats and biting blues are in the creeks. River channels and river flats are not producing like they normally would this time of year. 6-14 feet seems to be working well drifting, but I can not speak to the anchor bite since I have been drifting.

Good nights you can expect 20-25 fish drifting and average nights will produce 8-10 fish drifting.

Hope this helps. :wink:

5. FastenalFishing

FastenalFishing New Member

State:
    Boiling Springs, S.C.
    WylieCat,
    I am headed up to Wylie in the morning. Taking my dad catfishing. Are they biting the shad better right now or blue gill? Is there much shad around yu can catch in the net?

6. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I ususally go around Big and Little Allison, Ebenezer, York County side of the lake. But, for bait I'll go wherever needed within reason. Fastenal had a good question. Just wanting to catch some bait, maybe even freeze some for later.

7. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh, and looking for shad, perch mainly...whatever they'll bite really. I usually don't have trouble locating some bream, just haven't caught any other live bait.

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    We have found threadfin around buster boyd bridge around rocks and the marina across. Get some gizzards every now and then also.
    Lost a net on the sc side of BBB-so be careful.
    Seen the most threads ever several times i have been in the back of catwba creek. I have seen them in other creeks as well. Look for spraying on top of the water in the backs of creeks-be aware that on occasion they could be the minnow size ones that are too small to get caught in the net.
    The gizzards are hard to come by. Found them after they saw us sat aft on a shallow water creek hump. Couldnt get the net but on one. They were on the move and fast. Saw about 50 of them. Have not seen those numbers before. Will sneak back up on them one evening.
    Bream found anywhere in the shade sat aft.
    Someone else will have to help you with the perch.
    Let us know what you find.

9. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    the perch are on just about every deep water hump and point in wylie , just remember as the sun goes up the fish go down i usually start at the bases of the humps and work my way up till i find the schools during the day , i use a drop shot like rig with minnows till i find hem then i use a jigging spoon or cut shad or perch on a small wire crappie hook. this time of year if you find a school it is not unusual to have catches of 100+ in a very short time. i also look for bait schools on the sonar and try to fish near the bait this usually never fails this time of year. good luck

10. crashman

crashman Guest

Thanks Bird and Bowlerman, some very good info there, greatly appreciated.