Locater calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by quackkillsduxs, Feb 20, 2006.

1. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    what do yal think works better for a locater call? a crow call or an owl call? i got the h.s strut hoot tube, and i got a primos power crow so which ever yal thinks works better im gonna use.

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    I use an owl hooter in the morning while there still in the trees, and i like to use a crow in the afternoon. I love hs strut calls have em in owl hooter and crow call. But i dont think anything beats an owl hoot in the morning.

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i like to hoot in the morning and use a crow call after birds come of the roost. i will also turn a diaphram call in my mouth i give a coyote howl late in the morning. it seems to work pretty well. hs stuff is the best in my opinion.

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have better luck at different times of day, I use the owl in the morning and the evening and the crow throughtout the day but that is just me personally I think that works the best.

5. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I like a crow call the best, although loud cutting, varying your pitch alot, will produce more gobbles than the crow call will. I'll use the gibson crow call. It is expensive, but worth it if you like realism in your crow calling. God bless.

6. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i have to agree with brian sax. the locator owl call works great in the morning, then the crow works in to the afternoon. i also like to jus let the wild work for me. if the owls are hooting, then i jus put the calls away and wait and listen i think the hs model owl hooter is the best abd most realistic. it looks like a see through green can with a mouth piece on the end. it doesnt sound loud, but i carries very far.

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    When the woods are really quiet a squirrel call used like it is aggitated works well too.For some reason it gets them riled.Found this out pre-scouting turkeys, and squirrel hunting while I was looking around.

BILL

8. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I will have to agree with the others that owl hoot works great morning and evening and usually crow works best in the afternoon. Here lately I have had better luck with the owl all day... They just weren't answering to the crow at all around here. Good luck and good hunting!;)

9. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Hey Daryl,

Don't forget the thunder. We were hunting some property in south Montgomery county one fairly nasty day and with evry thunder boom the gobblers would ring out. Great mother nature locator call, so hit the woods when its nasty out as well.

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    :) Here in southern ohio all my locator calls have had luck with Hs strutt crow calls morning and evening.. but everyone else seems to like the owl hoot... all i can say is the best way for everything Experiment!!!!!!!!! :)
    you cant go wrong