Local sports writer called

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tom Higgins with the Charlotte Observer/Sports just called me for his weekly fishing report which appears in the Observer every Thursday. I informed him that I had not been out catfishing due to the price of gas and was only fishing for white perch in my cove. He then wanted to know if I received any request from folks wanting to go catfishing and I informed him that I had, but would not book them now due to the inactivity of the cats based on what other fishermen on LKN have told me. He then informed me that another guide which does stripers had parties out two different days this past week and he could not find the stripers. Two weeks ago he was getting a limit of four for each person in his boat.

Don't get me wrong, some people are catching catfish, but the numbers are low or the cats are small and I rather not make a buck and my party only catch a few. It can happen when the bite is on, but when I know that the bite is poor, I don't want no part of it. Right now I am booking for October when I can do a catfish/striper combo's. That way we are going to catch fish and that is what it is all about.

Fresh water and changing temp's does a number on LKN as most people that fish LKN will attest too. If only we had some current, to activate the bite, then this would not be a problem. For those that don't know LKN, it takes somewhere around 246 days for new water to flow 30 some miles to the dam. That equals a speed of 0.12+ miles per twentyfour hours.

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Thats some good info Mack. Over on the Yadkin the fishing is just about to bust loose. I think by next week the flats will be bitting like crazy.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    An awesome post for the NC area great to have accurate reports an now well drillers. Thanks for a great input here!

4. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that is very cool you are not taking people out knowing they wont catch much to just make money. its good to know there are honest good people out there

5. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Due to all the rain, mud and floating debris, we hadn't been fishing in a couple weeks. I took my 15 yr old neighbor, who had never been lake fishing, to Falls Lake (Raleigh) Sunday. We launched at about 8:30 AM and commenced to fishing. It was the slowest day I've had all year. Had I been alone, I would've loaded it up by lunchtime, but I was determined that boy was going to catch some fish. At 6:00 PM I had caught 5 crappie and one largemouth and he had caught nothing. At about quarter past 6 they finally turned on a little for about 30 minutes. By 6:45 he had caught 8-10 LMB and prolly a dozen crappie. I sure was glad. The last thing I wanted was for that boy to go home skunked. We loaded it up at about 7:30 and had ten nice crappie in the livewell. We fished humps, points, ledges, brushpiles, bridge pilons and open water too, from one end of the lake to the other. I was marking plenty of fish in many areas but just couldn't entice them to bite. On the ride home, he looked over at me and said "man, those crappie are hard to catch ain't they" LOL !

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

Mac, I don't understand the meaning. If yall have a hard rain upstream of the lake, and muddy water enters your headwaters, certainly it doesn't take 246 days for the muddy water to reach the dam ? Could you explain this ?

7. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    I live on Mt Island Lake, below LKN. LKN has 32,510 acres of surface water approximately 3.4 trillion gallons of water. Mt. Island has 3,281 acres of surface water. Prior to the drought (2007) it was nothing to see Mt. Island rise and fall 2-4 feet in the am and pm of each day in the heat of the summer. It fished like a tidal river. Now they only run the river in short bursts, I call it bumping. They just bump the river enough to move the water. It is unpredictable and for very short periods of time. Lake Norman holds its water long enough for it to turn over and that is what happens this time of year. I have never seen Mt Island do that. I agree 246 days sounds like a long time but in reality in this present day drought management doctrine that Duke is practicing now it is probably accurate.

8. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks. Never would have thought it took that long. I'll be hittin the yadkin river lakes starting tomorrow for 4 days. I hope the bite is a little better.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, if muddy water enters the lake upstream, by the time it gets to Marker 17 it has disipated (meaning it has settled to the bottom of the lake). On the lower end of the lake we had no muddy water from Hurrincane Fay. We did have a little in coves where there was new construction, but that was isolated. The 246 day estimate was given to me and the Lake Norman Marine Commission by a fellow that studies water flow on LKN. That is another reason it is called the Dead Sea.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Seems you run an admirable buisness as a guide good to know that you aren't just out for someones money !